I cannot believe I missed this

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:06 am

Personally, I like the 1% injectable more. It can be used orally, by injection, or topically. Topical is a snap.

www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:13 am

Where can I get the 1% injectable? Tack store or drugstore?

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:16 am

Do you know many drugstores who carry animal wormers?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:16 am

Tack store or use Whittbo's online links.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:25 am

Good; I'll ask at the tack store. I don't want to wait for Valley Vet to ship, I want to start today. So, I dose today, then I can dose as often as every 7 days, at least 3 times, but 4 or 5 won't hurt?
I'm paranoid of overdosing, but she's got a pretty bad case, so I'm also paranoid of underdosing. She hardly EVER makes a sound. She must have a really high tolerance for pain. She never makes ANY guinea pig sounds - wheeking (rarely), purring, nothing. She is stone silent 99.9% of the time. I wonder if it's all related to the mites?

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:29 am

To overdose, you need to use a whole bunch of the stuff. A LOT.

Dosing 4-5 times is what I would do. 7 to 10 days apart is fine. No more and no less, though.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:37 am

Okay, thanks. The tack store opens in 1/2 hour. I'll post a picture later, but I'm 100% sure it's mites. Thank goodness there are no open sores at this point.

whittibo

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:48 am

Hopefully the tack shop will have the topical stuff. I think you'll get a lot more doses out of it and not have to mix anything. Plus, getting her to take something orally might be harder then just drops behind her ears??

If you go to that first link at ValleyVet, print off the picture maybe? It's for cattle and swine I believe, so hopefully your tack shop is a farm supply place too?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:49 am

Good luck truffie! I use Revolution now as it is so darn easy and you only have to treat once.
For some stupid reason, no matter how much I marked on the calendar, I would get to the third dose of ivermectin and miss the 7-10 day period, and then have to start over.
I think I got my Revolution from the vet though, not sure if feed stores carry it.

Dani had the same kind of problem with the hair coming out in little clumps, with a piece of skin attached, and always had tons of dandruff. She was treated with ivermectin many times, and it never solved the problem.
There was even a thread about this (started by Teresa, I think) because she had a pig with the same thing.
I never did find out what it was.
Good luck with Apple. I think all of us have that one time we go" How did we miss that!?" .

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:00 pm

Gee, I wonder if it's something other than mites? I will treat her today (and the other pigs), but I wonder if a vet visit is in order, anyway? I'd hate to do 3-4 treatments and, a month from now, she's in the same shape as she is now. Ugh.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:09 pm

You have to try for the mites first. I know with Dani, it really never seemed to bother her at all.
She won't be in the same shape, I also think it's mites that is causing the hair loss and skittishness.
I was just saying that the hair coming out in little clumps may be something else altogether.
Let us know if treating for mites cures that one thing.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:20 pm

Is Revolution a better way to go? I don't mind the multiple doses of Ivermectin, but would the Revolution work faster? Is it only available from a vet only? I will make the drive to the vet if it's for a better/faster solution.