I cannot believe I missed this

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:27 pm

That is open to debate. There are lots of people on here that really prefer ivermectin, but I love the Revolution because it is one dose and you are done.
I'm not sure which is quicker, I used ivermectin (by the way, I had to get my propylene glycol from the vet) but once Revolution came on the scene, I have used that exclusively for about 2 years now.
Ivermectin is cheaper, I think.
I used REvolution with Molly and before two weeks were up, she was regrowing all her hair and was fine. She was not acting like she had mites, though, she had a lot of hairloss on her belly and some on her back.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:28 pm

Ditto on the trying for mites first.

What I would do (not as severe as you describe) is shampoo with Nizoral shampoo, dry thoroughly, treat topically with ivermectin. This combination invariably helped with the hair clumps and skin pieces. The shampoo and ivermectin treatments would be repeated at least once (or more) every 7-10 days.

You need a good calendar so you don't forget the ivermectin. After a couple shampoos, you can continue with it for an additional few treatments if warranted.

Always draw individual doses of ivermectin and treat one pig at a time.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:34 pm

Lynx, if she is that skittish and sore, I think giving her a bath will hurt like hell.
I would allow the mite treatment to work first for a couple weeks and then do the bath.
I think the scurfy skin thing is not nearly as irritating as the mites.
So sorry to disagree, poor truffie just wants to know what to do quickly! But I would not put her through a bath right now.
Just my opinion.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:49 pm

Okay, I have a plan. You guys are so enormously helpful. I really don't think I would have the physical strength to contain Apples for a bath, seriously. I can't even impress upon you guys how she HATES to be corralled in any way. She will sit stock still on a lap, and she didn't move or make a sound while I was picking through her fur for a good 10 minutes this morning (which is really, really odd, considering the pain she MUST be in), but if you're trying to hold her still in any way, forget it. So, I will do the Ivermectin, preferably topically, and poor Apples will just have to wait a few days before she feels better. Should I keep giving the Metacam for a week or so? Off to the tack store. I'm sure I'll be back before long with more questions:/

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:50 pm

double post

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:52 pm

You certainly could do a couple ivermectin treatments and then try the shampoo if you wanted.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:55 pm

That's what I'll do - see if she seems any better after a couple of doses, then go for the bath. I read back over this thread and realized I keep flip-flopping on which method to use. I'm going to try to get the 1% injectable, and if they only have paste, then that will decide it for me.

whittibo

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:57 pm

Good choice! Get the paste and at least get her treated today if possible. Then you can always order the injectable. Others have ordered the pour on and I think it is easier to dose because you use more of it? But I haven't ever used it so I don't have any links. :(

I just think you'll get more doses out of the injectable. I gave about 1/4 of my bottle away, I have been using it for a year + on 3 pigs and still have more then half a bottle left. I think it will be old before I actually use it all.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:55 pm

Okay, I hope this is the right thing. I had someone at the shop help me. It's a tube that would treat a 1,250 lb. horse if I used the whole thing, and it is metered off at 250 lb. intervals. But, they had 2 potencies. The one I got is called Zimecterin Gold, and it is "ivermectin 1.55%/praziquantel 7.75% paste)". There was another one that was 1.87% Ivermectin. The clerk guessed I should go with the lesser potency since it's for a guinea pig. The tube was $10.90. Does this sound like the right thing?

Also, I thought I read something about mixing a new dose for each pig, or something like that?? Can't I just mix the paste with the 22cc water, and use a different syringe for each pig but draw from the same mixture, then toss it? I won't start till I know for sure that I'm doing it right.

They didn't have the 1% injectable, only more potent stuff.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:45 pm

I always used the 1.87% ivermectin, plain. I don't know what the praziquantel is at all.

I'm so sorry, but I think you should have gotten the plain ivermectin.

You don't have to mix a new dose for each pig. I used propylene glycol, mixed with the Zimectrin in a baby food jar.
I would squeeze in the 250 lbs dose, then add the appropriate PG, then shake like mad. Then I would dose all the pigs, and refrigerate till the next dose in 7-10 days.

You can do the same thing when mixing with water, but you can't save it in the fridge. You will dose all the pigs, then toss the remainder. It's most of what you just made up, and the rest gets wasted, which is why I got the PG instead of water.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:24 pm

NO, NO, NO!!!! You do NOT want to use Praziquantel on a pig. What you bought is a tube of two insecticides. Straight Ivermectin is what you need.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:35 pm

Ditto. But tiny little "no"s. Not such loud and scary ones.
What you got has two active ingredients, not one. You only want ivermectin as an active ingredient.