I cannot believe I missed this

whittibo

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:30 pm

Bummer. I hope they will let you exchange it. :(

You shouldn't have to re-mix anything. I use the same syringe and need to draw the Ivermectin, have been using the same one for over a year now in fact. I think if you mix it with water, it's not stable, so you would have to throw out that 'batch' each time? (that's how I understand it anyway).

At least you know they have the right stuff. And this is a lot cheaper then taking all your pigs to the vet for treatment!

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:44 pm

I'm sure I can exchange it, but then where the heck do I get straight Ivermectin?? I don't think they had it at the feed store, because I told her I need Ivermectin, and this is what she directed me to. We do have a feed store nearby; I've never been there but I can find out how to get there, and call and see if they have it. Or how about a regular drugstore? Would Walgreen's have it? Good grief, this poor pig is losing hair and I can't find the damn right stuff. Well, today is a bust. There is no place open this late on a Sunday - I guess I'll call a regular pharmacist and see if they have it, then try again tomorrow. If I can't get the straight stuff I'll take her to the vet, get a dose of Revolution and be done with the whole mess.

If anyone knows precisely where I could straight Ivermectin, do tell. It might end up being quicker driving the 40 miles to the vet:/
There's a bigger tack store I could try, but it's further than the vet!!

whittibo

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:45 pm

But, they had 2 potencies. The one I got is called Zimecterin Gold, and it is "ivermectin 1.55%/praziquantel 7.75% paste)". There was another one that was 1.87% Ivermectin.

I think you want 'the other one'.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:00 pm

Maybe. I should have looked closer - the 1.87% may or may not have had another ingredient, but I have to return this one anyway, so when I do that in the a.m., I'll double check for straight Iver and if they don't have it I'll try the feed store. If they don't have it, it's off to the vet, and then back home with a lighter wallet.
I've been so caught up in putting weight on Snickers that I neglected my neurotic little Apples, who might turn out to be not so neurotic after all. That would sure be nice.

whittibo

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:10 pm

I hope the other one is the one you need. But I wonder if you can place an order with Valley Vet now and get the other stuff on it's way?

I think you have to treat all of them, even if you use the Revolution?!

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:20 pm

If need be, I'll order the right stuff from Valley to treat Sugar and Snickers, but I would get Apples to the vet for the Revolution, because she is so far advanced, and I don't want to let her suffer another day. The other two show absolutely no signs whatsoever, so they can wait a day or two till the paste gets here.
Whittibo - is that stuff you pictured (for swine and cows) the right stuff?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:40 pm

I think Whittibo is right. That's what they have been so far, that potentcy and 100% ivermectin as an active ingredient.

www.guinealynx.info/oral_ivermectin.html

whittibo

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:58 pm

Yes, the one I linked to is the stuff you need. But they would have a horse paste that's 100% Ivermectin as well. So they might have it.

I think everyone would recommend you treat the other pigs too, just because mites were in your home, they all were exposed whether they have symptoms or not?!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:37 pm

1. If you do decide to use ivermectin 1% orally, you can mix with a vegetable oil like canola. That's what we use and it works fine. You don't have to use propylene glycol. If you have a pharmacist who trusts you, or a compounder, they may sell it to you but I believe it's used somehow in illegal drug manufacture and therefore not real easy to get.

2. For what it's worth, I don't think you have permanently harmed her. She will be fine once ivomec'd and her hair grows back in.

3. You're going to take her tomorrow for Revolution, correct? If so, it will probably work a little faster than ivermectin, if that's any help.

etplante

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:10 pm

I know you can get ivermectin from Tractor Supply. The one near me sells the oral paste, injectible, and topic solution. I went with the .5% topical treatment. It was $38 for an 250ml bottle. I think the 1.87% paste was $7 for a tube. The topical solution has a shelf-life of about 2 years. Your profile says you are in Atlanta. A quick check of tractorsupply.com lists several stores near the Atlanta area. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:12 pm

etplante - no, my profile must have said I WISH I was in Atlanta, cause it's kinda chilly here in Cleveland, where I really am;) Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I'm heading to the tack store in the a.m. to return what I have and check the label on the 1.87%. If it's pure Ivermectin, I will probably give that a try, but if it's some mixture, I'm not running all over town trying to track down the pure stuff. I'd rather see the vet and do Revolution. We'll see what I find out tomorrow. I think she may also have something else going on with her skin (althought it could all be mite related), and in that case a vet visit wouldn't hurt. I do have a really good exotics vet; I'm just not nuts about the drive. It will also depend on whether I can even get in tomorrow. I'll check my area for Tractor Supply.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:13 pm

ET: thanks, but Truffielover is in Ohio. I'm in Atlanta.

ET has a good point, though. Tractor Supply carries just about everything you could imagine and then some. There are some in Ohio, though they're a ways out from the city:

http://www.mytscstore.com/about_TSC.asp?pageID=states