I cannot believe I missed this

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:39 pm

Okay, I'm going to order the stuff Whittibo posted a picture of. I guess the smallest (50ml) bottle is plenty, right?

whittibo

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:45 pm

Oh it's plenty alright. More then enough.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:09 pm

You can get Epi-Soothe shampoo, and its matching conditioner, from the same place you are ordering the Ivomec:

Epi-Soothe

Hope I got this up in time!

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:37 pm

What did they do about the lice? Oral Ivermectin won't do much of anything for them. You have three options:
1- topical Ivermectin (will treat both mites and lice)
2- Advantage (will only treat lice)
3- Révolution (will treat both mites and lice)

I would either continue with oral Ivermectin and use Advantage in addition to it, or I would alternate between oral Ivermectin and Revolution.

Remember that Revolution comes in two potencies. Check which one you have.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:42 pm

He said he prefers the 1% ivermectin over Revolution, and I knew both were effective, so I didn't get Revolution. I forgot what he said was in the stuff he used for the bath, but it was supposed to take care of the fleas. Is Advantage by prescription also? I'm going to follow up on my own with the 1% from Valley Vet. I don't think I need the epi-soothe; he said whatever he used today shouldn't be washed off with another bath of any kind.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:50 pm

Fleas or lice?

Shampoos only kill live lice, but I believe it does nothing for the eggs, which will certainly hatch in the next few days. You're certainly growing a lot of new friends as we speak.

I am pretty sure you can buy Advantage in pet stores in the US, but an 'Maracan can confirm.

Luv4piggies

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:54 pm

Good luck getting this under control. If you want to ever get revolution, I had found under another post that you can get it without a prescription from
http://www.petshed.com/

Hope your piggie gets better soon.

Well wishes,
Luv4piggies

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:06 pm

Oops, I meant lice. My head is spinning with all these maladies and remedies. What the hell, I'll try the Advantage, if I can get it OTC. Can it be used while she's being treated w/ the Ivermectin?

whittibo

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:16 pm

Truffie, per E's post on the first page, Ivermectin,
(the one you're ordering from ValleyVet) will take care of her lice AND mites when you apply it topically behind the ears.

That might be enough?!

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:20 pm

Good. But, I still have to wait 7-10 days before using it again, right? Oh, and E did answer the question already - I can use Advantage simultaneously w/ the Ivermectin. Well I guess since I'm ordering the 1% and that does both jobs, I'll just go with one-stop-shopping. And it's okay to mix treatments - oral today, and topical for the next two treatments?

whittibo

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:47 pm

I don't see why you can't do topical after oral.

You do have to wait 7 days, but you might not even get it before then, but she should be having some relief from all the other treatments, treating the lice in 7 days might be OK? You might not need to use the Advantage now?!

If this was me, I think I would wait for the Ivermectin and treat again then and not do Advantage now. ONLY because she has had many treatments, and if there's any interactions or problems, you won't know which was the cause. But this is out of my league, so I really don't know what proper protocol would be. :(

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:51 pm

Yes, you can switch the way you administer the Ivermectin without any problem because it's a systemic drug.

Usually, there is no problem using Ivermectin and Advantage together. Some people prefer to wait 2-3 days between them, though.

If you decide to wait for the 1% solution, you can treat orally every 7 days until you receive the new bottle and then do the rest of the doses topically.