Reba: Satin w/arthritis, bone loss, & teeth issues

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:54 pm

Oh, I know, Lynx. With it being a hamster spout, it took a long time to get a decent sized drink.

What I was trying to say tho is that she actually drank on her own for the first time in 2 weeks! I know she is hungry because she just came to me asking for food. I am just excited to see her drink on her own!

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:14 am

Reba had a follow-up appointment with the vet yesterday. We did another full body x-ray. There was evidence of calcification in some of her bones, especially the "thigh" bones of her rear legs. The vet seemed shocked at the speed in which this showed up, since her last x-rays were 3/31 and that is when we upped the calcium. Some of the bones in her body are absorbing calcium too much and others not enough.

There seems to be a very slight improvement with her teeth since she has been chewing a little more on her own. She feels there is nothing she can do with the overgrown roots, which is the consensus I seem to get here. She said she could file them a little more but that even that would be difficult considering how small her jaws are and the limited ability to open them.

Pinta, aren't you the one who has the chin slings? Would this be an option that might help her some? If you think it would then please tell me how to buy one.

Abby, Reba's sister who is owned by Brianna, also saw the vet yesterday. Bri noticed a few weeks ago that Abby was starting to hop when she ran. The vet did a full body x-ray on her too. She has "hip dysplasia and severe arthritis" in her hips, knees, and feet of her back legs. Poor baby. She hides it VERY well. Other than the hopping at a full run, she looks and acts like the picture of piggy health. It was sad to see Reba next to her, knowing that they were the exact same size and looked so similar less than a year ago, and now there is about a 500 gram difference.

I don't know if Bri will start a thread for Abby or leave the sisters connected here for future reference, but since there is a connection between them, I thought it should be at least mentioned on this thread. The findings in Abby convinced the vet even more that we are looking at "bad genetics due to ignorant breeders" (vet's words). She is critterluv02's vet also and knows the history of these two pigs.

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:15 am

Email me for details on how to order a Chin-Sling. As long as her jawbones are still strong it should be okay for her. Ask your vet if the jaws are strong enough for a device that causes resistance when she chews. You can print out the info on the Chin-Sling in the Care Guide and show your vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:15 am

"Some of the bones in her body are absorbing calcium too much and others not enough."

I forget, what was the condition your pig had where the jaw became very thick? Paget's disease?

Becky

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:08 pm

Yes, Paget's. Here's the link to Shiraz' history.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8754

Knock wood, Elvis' calcium absorption has been even, rather than random. He does, however, have awful arthritis that has gotten worse.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:40 am

I am afraid I am losing Reba. I will be very shocked if she makes it thru the next day or two. I have been hand feeding her 99% of her intake since March now. The timing really stinks because I was finally actually getting a little weight put back ON her instead of the steady, slow losing of the last 4 months.

She doesn't want to eat or drink at all. She shows no signs of discomfort but refuses even her favorites, other than maybe an initial bite or two. Overall she is very lethargic and just wants to cuddle on my chest. I am getting absolutely nothing done other than sitting here holding her and trying to get her to eat and drink a bit at a time.

Please send out any and all prayers and good vibes that you may have for this little girl. Even thru all of her troubles, she has still showed such an interest and joy in life. She has repeatedly amazed her vet and my family that she has made it this long and done as well as she has and always maintained that diva attitude and spark in her eyes. I am torn between wanting her to rally and continue to do well for a while longer and wanting her to pass peacefully before she is suffering.

This really sucks.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:12 am

I just read Reba's story. She is a beautiful girl, and I love the pancake picture!

My family is sending our best hopes for you and Reba. She sounds like a very special pig.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:52 am

Thanks tracis.

She's gone. My husband got up and came down to hold her and love on her with me while she passed.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:52 am

Oh dear, I'm so very sorry. You did so much for her, and it sounds as if she had a wonderful life with you.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:08 am

I'm so sorry.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:21 am

You took such good care of Reba, hon. I remember all the phone calls in the middle of the night.

That pig and her potential dietary goodies were probably discussed more than she could have ever known. You were so inventive and caring and even your laptop bears the "scars."

And I'm sure she's the only pig anyone ever made piggie pancakes for.

You did the best job you could have done. It was just a tough shot from the beginning. I know you'll miss her, but also consider how she's probably relieved to not have to suffer anymore.

Hugs from me and HF.

Piggster

Post   » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:00 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. You took wonderful care of Reba these past few months. Hugs to you and your family.