I cannot believe I missed this

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:13 pm

So, I just took Sugar out and gave her a good going-over. Snickers has been barbering her, but I noticed that right on her back (where Snickers doesn't barber), she has that same scaly/dandruffy skin that Apples has - with the pieces of hair that come out, with a little piece of skin attached to them. This is no surprise, since Apples is so badly affected. Sugar doesn't seem quite as severe. But, her hind end is also clearly thinned out, and I'm sure it's not all due to the barbering. Again, no surprise. My question is, how do I know if she also has a bacterial infection, vs. just mites (and probably lice)? I don't know how the vet diagnosed the infection. I will definitely call him in the morning and see if she needs to be seen. Would a bacterial infection be contagious, or just the mites and lice? Snickers does show no symptoms, and I would notice for sure cause I hold her to feed her at least twice every day. I guess I better take them both in.

The 1% injectable Ivermectin was shipped yesterday, so I should have that by Friday, but I don't know if Sugar (and maybe Snickers) need AB's also. Any ideas?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:26 pm

"...same scaly/dandruffy skin that Apples has - with the pieces of hair that come out, with a little piece of skin attached to them."

Does this sound fungal to anyone else, or am I hallucinating?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:32 pm

Who knows. Dani had that and she was treated for lice and mites and every kind of fungal infection, and still had it.
But I know others have had some luck in erradicating it, so we'll hope Truffie falls into that category!

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:42 pm

What's the difference in a fungal infection vs. bacterial? The vet definitely said Apples has a bacterial infection, for which she is getting sulfatrim. What is the treatment if it was fungal? I am definitely taking Sugar AND Snickers in tomorrow. Even though Snickers shows no symptoms, I am taking no chances. In fact, Instead of waiting for the Ivermectin to arrive, I'm going to have him dose each of them tomorrow, and I will do doses 2 and 3 (and 4 and 5?) on my own.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:50 pm

If it was fungal you'd bath the pig in a Malaseb or Nizoral bath.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:03 pm

Can I get that at a pet store, or do I have to get it from the vet? He says it's bacterial. What if I bathed them in that stuff just as a precaution?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:09 pm

Nizoral is a human shampoo you can often find in a drug store. Malaseb is often sold by vets or in pet stores. Either would be fine. But don't bath them while they still have mites - the mites will try to burrow deeper and it will hurt.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:13 pm

Thanks mum. I'll see what he says tomorrow and take it from there.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:07 pm

Okay, Snickers and Sugar have also been lice-bathed and are home drying off and none too happy about it. I got the 1% Ivermectin in the mail today - the exact stuff Whittibo pictured on page 1. So I need to know if I have the dosing right, to give orally. I mix 1 part of this stuff with 9 parts Canola Oil, then dose that mixture according to the dosing chart? Sugar ir 1275 gms, so she would get .24cc of the diluted solution, right?

Apparently for oral dosing, I can't dilute it with water, right?

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:58 pm

Wait!

You gave them a bath with toxic Pyrethrin even if we told you it was useless? Jeez, where that stick when you need it?!

The 1% injectible doesn't have to be diluted at all.

whittibo

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:11 pm

The stuff you got (that I also use) doesn't have to be diluted at all. And if you give it to them topically, behind the ears, that will kill lice too.

Post your girls weights and we can give you the doses. My bigger girls get like .06cc's which amounts to a couple drops. I'll post these pictures I took for a diet member of mine.

Put the syringe/needle into the top of the bottle

Turn them both over and draw out more then you need, and then tap the air to the top

Push the plunger to the amount you need

Remove syringe from needle and try to put behind both ears, it's a very small amount, so just try to put a drop on the first ear so you still have some left for the second.

It should be near this amount on a 1cc syringe

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:15 pm

No, they didn't have a bath in that toxic stuff.

Oh crap, Whittibo. This is getting very complicated. I don't have syringes with needles. Can't I take the silver cap off and just draw it up into the needle-less syringes? I know it doesn't have to be diluted for topical application, but the bath served the purpose of killing the lice, I was going to give the Ivermectin orally, at least for this first dose, because that's what the vet did with Apples, and because they just had the bath today, and I don't want to put anything else on them. Hasn't anyone ever dosed this stuff orally? I think Lynx has. Where is she......