Advantage "kitten dose"?

shindy77

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:59 pm

I've been reading all the posts and guides on using Advantage to treat lice. My little Chido has lice, I think, and is already being treated with oral Ivermectin for mites.

One post mentioned making sure to get the "kitten dose" of Advantage, in an orange tube. But the warning label for Advantage cat formula says it's not to be used on cats under 8 weeks of age.

I just want to be sure I'm ordering the proper one...
This is the one I'm planning on getting:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcati ... N=2002&Nty=1

Does this look right?

Also, is there any danger in treating with Advantage if you're not 100% certain the pig has lice? Or is it like Ivermectin, which you can pretty much use safely no matter if the pig turns out to have mites or not?

And one more question that I didn't see answered in posts/guides... is it normal for a pig to start scratching more AFTER they start treatment with Ivermectin? He got his first dose yesterday, up until which he was barely scratching. Today he's practically having fits he's scratching so much, the poor baby. Has anyone seen this happen to their pig?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:23 pm

If you buy plain Advantage, the concentration is all the same between the dog and cat tubes. The difference is the amount in each tube.

The feline orange has 0.4 ml per tube
The feline purple has 0.8 ml
The canine green has 0.4 ml
The canine teal has 1.0 ml
The canine red is 2.5 (I think)
The canine blue is 4 ml

The average 2# cavy could take the 0.4 ml without toxic effects, but in my opinion, that is overkill. I normally use 0.2 ml which works well.

Oh, and you should be able to see lice with the naked eye. Mites (depending on the type) are generally microscopic.

Yes, I do think some people have mentioned the fact they seem a bit itchier a day or two after ivermectin. Oral ivermectin is not as effective as injections for mites and won't do much for lice. Topical administration for lice seems to work better. A lot of people will dose orally or by injection with ivermectin and apply Advantage topically for broad-spectrum uncontamination.

shindy77

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:01 pm

I just got a call back from the vet who gave the Ivermectin yesterday, since I called to report Chido was scratching a LOT today.

He said 2 things that struck me as wrong:

1) That the scratching may be because of allergy to the bedding (I use pure Carefresh since I've had him and never saw him scratch like this)... and that I should remove all the bedding for a few days and see if it stops.

2) That I can give him 0.25cc of children's liquid Benedryl to help stop the scratching.

I don't see any mention on this website that Benedryl can be used safely. Does anyone know about this?

What about the Carefresh issue... anyone seen this before?

I should mention he's also being treated concurrently with 0.2cc of Bactrim q12h for suspected URI. Could his scratching (he's practically having fits just starting today... before today he barely scratched) be related to the Bactrim?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:05 pm

The itching is not likely to be related to the Bactrim, but possible.

I doubt it's the bedding.

Yes, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is safe. It may or may not help depending. You have to know the concentration of the particular diphenhydramine you're using before you dose it.

shindy77

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:08 pm

Well... I ask about the Advantage being safe even if he doesn't have lice because my boyfriend swears he saw tiny yellowish bugs crawling on Chido, but I have not seen them myself.

Is it best to just to go ahead and use the Advantage (I mean, can it harm him?), especially considering how much he is scratching now?

The vet also recommended putting a cut-up cotton tube sock over Chido's body, like a little sweater, so that he doesn't cause open gashes or wounds from all the scratching, since he does not currently have wounds and I know developing them would open him to further problems (e.g., fungal infection). Does this seem like a good idea?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:56 pm

Good luck keeping the sock on. It normally wouldn't hurt.

Advantage is indeed safe as prescribed and documented in the Reference Thread.

shindy77

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:00 pm

Okay, thank you very much.

I have ordered some Advantage and hopefully it will arrive within a few days. Meanwhile, I am continuing with the Bactrim (for the URI) and will be taking Chido back to the vet for dose #2 of Ivermectin next weekend.

He is still scratching, poor baby, and remains somewhat lethargic. But his appetite seems decent, which is reassuring.

I feel relieved now that I went tonight and bought all Oxbow stuff (pellets, hay, and vit C tablets) and threw out everything I bought before. I cannot believe how ignorant I was before I found this website. Oh the self-loathing!

Here's the little guy, in case you haven't seen a picture of him on my other posts:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewIma ... f0a9768e29bf

Thanks again for your patient assistance.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1