I cannot believe I missed this

whittibo

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:48 pm

Ewww.. sulfur = rotten eggs!

Don't know why I didn't put that together before. YUCK.

The comb, is it a Nit comb? For some reason I still have one from when my brother and mom had lice when I was about 12 years old. I think it was my "Barbie's comb", but gosh, not too many things have made it THAT long in my possession.

klynne

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:20 pm

A very fine tooth metal flea comb works well also.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:29 pm

I know we're in the early stages of treatment, but I'm wondering how long should it be before I see an improvement in Apples' skin? She had the lime sulfur bath and first dose of Ivermectin Monday. Today was her 5th day of antibiotics. Her skin is still VERY scaly, and all I have to do is scratch lightly and it flakes. Roughly when should I see a noticeable improvement in her skin, as well as noticeable hair re-growth?

whittibo

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:06 pm

I have no answers. :(

Does she still seem as skittish to hold? I wonder if she's feeling any better.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:10 pm

Skittish as ever. I really think that's her personality:( She's been like that since we got her, long before she showed any signs of mites. I think she feels fine, but as I said before, she never acted like she didn't feel fine; neither did Sugar.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:58 am

It took a few weeks before Tinkerbell, who had a really dreadful case of mites, started looking better. It took at least 2 doses of Ivermectin and 2 of revolution before I saw any difference. Then all of a sudden her hair grew in and she gained 5 ounces! It will happen :-p

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:21 am

I picked up a plastic flea comb at the pet store; they didn't have metal. Apples is doing fine (I guess), but her skin is just loaded with that flaky stuff (dead skin?), and it is driving me crazy. I ran the comb through her last night and got some of it out, along with some loose hair, but I could have gotten lots more dead skin off if I was a little more aggressive. She just sat there silently (as always) while I combed her, so apparently it doesn't hurt. Is it okay for me to get out as much of that dead skin and loose hair as I can? Is there a reason I should NOT be fussing with it? She will get her third Ivermectin Monday, and today is the last day for the antibiotics.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:04 am

It will not hurt to remove it. If she's recovering well, I still recommend a Nizoral shampoo and drying just before your next ivermectin treatment.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:23 am

I will do that. What is that for - to help get the stuff off of her skin, or just general healing? I have to check with the vet to find out how long I have to wait after the sulfur bath. He told me the way the sulfur bath works is that you rinse it lightly, and it kills the lice instantly and continues to work to get rid of any eggs. But, that was 2.5 weeks ago, and it is probably okay to bathe her again now. The sulfur smell has really diminished; it's probably not serving any purpose anymore.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:27 am

I'd bath now also. You could always do a finishing rinse with the lymdyp if the vet thought it necessary.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:02 am

I found Lynx' original post on the Nizoral. I will do that this weekend, before the third treatment, and next weekend before the fourth. I think someone said I can get Nizoral at a pet store?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:26 am

Nizoral is human shampoo that you can find at a drugstore. Malaseb is the one you find in the petstore - that's what I use (just because I have it). Both work well.