Baytril for URI

badonahue

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:05 pm

I am in Massachsuetts. My vet doesn´t have emergency hours. The place they referred me to doesn´t treat guinea pigs. I´m sure Angell Memorial Hospital in Boston treats guinea pigs but that is not an option since I am 30 miles from Boston and I am home with my two young boys while my husband is at work. I just gave her some pedialyte. She is breathing so fast. She is refusing to swallow and is so weak. I will keep a vigil overnight and take her to the vet first thing in the morning. I am not going to give her anymore Baytril.

Poseylover

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:07 pm

Oh dear badonahue... I sure know what you´re going through. We had our little Posey at the Vets on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday of last week. She´s had injected pain meds, Baytril, injected fluids and I´ve been force feeding her every 2 to 3 hours.

I have been force feeding Posey with a 35CC syringe. She gets 10 cc´s every 2 to 3 hours. I´ve been feeding her carrots (babyfood, just carrots and water... not the starchy kind) half and half with rehydrated pellets and extra Vit C. drops. Posey has become so used to the forced feedings now that I don´t even need to bunny her up in a towel. She´ll just sit in my lap and let me feed her.

Now tonight, I finally caught Posey munching on hay all on her own, upon which the entire house roared with a cheer to startle the neighbourhood! The poor piggie must have wondered what on earth all these humans are raising such a stink about! LOL!

Anyhow... I´ll be thinking about you and your piggy... sub-cutaneous fluids would help her immensely. Posey brightened up within a couple of hours of having extra fluids injected.

~~Catherine

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:15 pm

They don´t have to treat guinea pigs to give a hydration subcue. 20cc´s in the shoulder.

--------------

Can you get her to Angell when your husband gets home?

I´m sorry but it really does sound like life or death. She needs veterinary help as soon as possible.

If it is antibiotic intolerance you dhould see improvements in 12 hours. But if she is still ill than the improvements from being off the baytril will be masked by the continuing infection.
Last edited by pinta on Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badonahue

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:24 pm

unfortunetly, My husband wont be home until morning. I will do all I can overnight.
Again, thank you again for all your concern.

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:28 pm

Keep trying to hydrate her then. Try a steam humidifier to help her breath or put her in a steamy bathroom. Keep her on a heating pad or a towel wrapped hot water bottle.

I wish I could help more.

Poseylover

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:39 pm

Are you giving her water from a dropper or syringe? Even if some (or most) of it dribbles down her chin, at least SOME of it will make it into her tummy and give her some hydration.

...will be thinking of you.

~~Catherine

badonahue

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:44 pm

Yes I am giving her water and pedialyte. I am trying to do all I can. If I could get her to an emergency vet believe me I would. I want nothing more than for her to be well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:16 pm

One of the medications mentioned, bactrim, is a human medication often given to children. It is also known as sulfa trim or sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim oral suspension, usp 200mg/40mg per 5 ml. I think the dosage is on Squeak pig´s safe med page (a link can be found in the index in Guinea Lynx).

I hope she makes it through the night.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:03 am

Me too.

I wish I lived 30 minutes from Angell!

badonahue

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:39 am

She´s gone. My poor little girl. It´s 4:30am. I don´t know what to do. My heart is broken. My sons are going to be up in a few hours. They are going to be so upset. She was such a good little piggie. She loved my son Cody so much. First our dog and now Zelda. This is so hard. I think I´ll wait a while before getting another pet. My heart needs a break.

Thanks again.
Bethann

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:19 am

I´m so sorry. I think you should tell your vet that in future this type of thing just can´t wait. Too many vets think pigs can wait like cats and dogs.

Please consider giving a rescue pig a home in honour of Zelda. Speaking from experience, the heart heals faster when having the opportunity to help another animal. And there are so many pigs waiting for good homes. Let a loss be a gain.

pigpal

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:26 am

That´s so sad. I was really hoping she´d make it until morning. I´m very sorry.