I cannot believe I missed this

whittibo

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:31 am

I got the Nizoral at Walmart. It was in the dandruff shampoo area. It smells really good for a medicated shampoo. We always sniff our piggies a lot after a bath with it. :)

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:50 am

My girls will just be delighted when they find out they are getting another bath:/

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:19 pm

Oh yeah, I can hear their squeals of joy from here.

cavykatie

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:07 am

I recently gave all my girls a Nizoral bath. They didn't seem to mind the shampoo part. I left it on for about three or four minutes because it's a medical shampoo and it needs to sit on the skin to treat properly. If you just put it on a rinse it off right away, it doesn't have time to work. The part that the girls strongly dissaproved of was the rinsing off of the Nizoral. Much much protest was made ;) At least it worked!

whittibo

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:14 am

Cavykatie, good point about leaving the shampoo on there. *duh* I never did and never thought about it. :s

cavykatie

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:17 am

:) Well I have a chronic dandruff problem, myself, and in the past I had trouble with the dandruff shampoo not being effective. I told my doctor and she told me about leaving it on to let it "soak in". I did, and woila, dandruff improved greatly!

Lyndsay

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:00 pm

Alright this thread was so helpful! Thanks.
But a few questions before I start this process with the boys:
1) I have the oral 1.87% stuff, and I read 1 part Iverectin, and 9 parts canola oil. Now what does that mean? parts? Is this an american conversion, or am I just that dumb.
2) I'll have their weights posted, can someone help me with the dosing when I have the weights?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:42 pm

I think you're reading the wrong directions.

Try these:
www.guinealynx.info/oral_ivermectin.html

You would change the 10mg/ml 1% ivermectin solution into a 1mg/cc ivermectin solution by diluting 1 part ivermectin to 9 parts of canola oil (or another dilutant).

By this, it could be 1cc of the 1% solution ivermectin + 9cc oil. When mixed up, this is 10cc total. Since the 1cc of the 1% solution has 10mg, the new solution is 10mg/10-cc or:
1mg/cc

It's different with the paste. Read the directions carefully. If you have any problems, see a vet.

Lyndsay

Post   » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:26 pm

Ok, I figured out what I'm doing now. Thanks.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:33 am

Okay, all three pigs have had 3 treatments, each 7 days apart. Apples' third treatment was Monday, Snickers and Sugar were done yesterday. Apples still has a scab on her back, not real big. Her skin is much less scaly, and I would say her hair is starting to grow back. She finished the Sulfatrim awhile ago. Should I give her a fourth treatment next Monday, just to be on the safe side? How about the other two? Snickers never did show any symptoms at all, so I'm not going to treat her again, but maybe Apples and Sugar could use one more? How do I know when they've had enough treatments?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:40 am

If a pig still has a scab I'd treat again. It never really makes sense to treat just one pig, so you might go ahead and dose all of them one more time, if they're together in one cage.

whittibo

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:01 am

Glad Apples and Sugar are getting better.

As for knowing when they had enough, I think for me, I would rather give treatments above and beyond, just to be sure. (since it's not harmful).

The first time I treated our pigs, I only did 2 treatments, and it wasn't enough. A couple weeks later they were scratching again, so I had to start all over again. So I would say one more won't hurt.