We are devastated

saggymilksacks

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:43 pm

We lost 2 of our 3 pigs today.

I've been in the hospital since Sunday, had emergency surgery, and just got home tonite. Since I'm primary pig caretaker I quizzed my husband and kids every day about caring for the pigs.

This afternoon, they found Shadow dead in the cage, and Pumpkin was laying down in obvious pain. As my husband rushed her to the vet I was gently interrogating my very distraught daughter. The only unusual item she had given them this morning was banana, but lots of it. Pumpkin was still alive upon arrival at the vets, but as he tried to relieve her of gas, she died on the table.

The vet told us it's the banana. We are absolutely sick over this. My sweet daughter has been crying in my arms for the last hour, she thinks she killed the pigs. Now I know banana is an "in moderation" food item, but would one large portion be enough to kill a pig? It does make sense, because our third pig did not like the banana and is perfectly healthy.

I really didn't expect this amount of grief over these little guys, and maybe it's the pain meds I'm on, but I'm just so very sad. My daughter is already talking about a new pig or two, but I'm not sure about it, or even how to care for the lonely one we have left.

Thanks for listening to me ramble.

Poor Baby Cuzko
My piggy made me give!

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:46 pm

I didn't know bananas caused that much gas! Cuzko loves bananas, but I only offer a 1/4" section at a time and a bit of the peel. I'll have to cut back that amount.

I'm sorry you lost your little guys! And give your daughter a hug from us all and tell her it wasn't her fault.

It may be better to adopt a couple more to prevent problems with the remaining piggy.

saggymilksacks

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:49 pm

I know, I thought I had done so much research on this, and had passed on whatever I learned to my daughter who is secondary pig caretaker. It may have sounded suspicious to me except Grayson said they both ate a LOT of the banana and they're both gone. They're not even in the same cage, so it's doubtful they could have passed an illness between themselves either.

EllieMom

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:50 pm

Oh, poor little pigs. Poor little girl. Poor saggy. This is something I could imagine happening at our house, so I can really relate to how awful this must be for all of you. What a sad, sad thing.

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:51 pm

I'm so sorry, SMS. What a shock that must have been.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:55 pm

I thought bananas caused constipation. I also limit to a 1/4" at a time for a rare treat.

What a shock, for everyone. Sorry for your loss.

whittibo

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:13 pm

OH my! I am so sorry!

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:36 pm

I'm so sorry for your losses.

K-Jun104

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:39 pm

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. How terrible!

It may be a good idea to get a pal or two for your remaining piggie, for your daughter and of course for yourself.
It helped us a lot to get new piggies when we lost our pair by a tragic accident.

I hope and pray that you will get better real soon physically and emotionally. Hugs for you all!! Take care!

klynne

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:44 pm

Oh, this is terrible. A necropsy on one or both pigs might help give your family some closure. It may answer all those "what if's" we humans torture ourselves with.

Also, if something else IS going on besides the sudden diet change, it may help you prevent the loss of your remaining pig.

Sorry to hear you are dealing with your own illness and surgery, hope you recover quickly from that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:52 pm

I am so sorry for you and your daughter. She must feel terrible. We all know she never intended this to happen.

I've only given a quarter inch slice too. Had no idea too much banana could have such awful consequences.

Please give her a hug from us too.

I second the necropsy if you want confirmation.

[search terms added: die died ]

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:55 pm

A necropsy is the only way to determine cause of death.

It is highly doubtful banana in ANY way, shape, or form caused this problem. Most likely it was GI stasis or gastric torsion.