We are devastated

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:57 pm

That's terrible. Are you going to get a necropsy?

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:53 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your daughter can get past this soon.

skooters mommy

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:20 pm

This is awful. I'm very sorry.

saggymilksacks

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:26 pm

No necropsy. With my hospital stay we are down one week of my salary and we just can't afford it. The vet bill alone for trying to save the one pig is a lot, not that I wouldn't have paid whatever it took to save her.

jgaff78

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:30 pm

I'm really sorry for your loss, but thank you for bringing this to the forum. It may help others if the banana really is to blame.

I hope your daughter can realize that this was an accident and not blame herself. I really feel so badly for all of you.

Take care of yourself and your remaining pig.

saggymilksacks

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:31 pm

I guess it's not a lot of help, since I'm not doing the necropsy. I just find it odd that 2 pigs would die the same day, and the only diet change is the banana.

jgaff78

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:36 pm

The suspicion of the banana alone is enough to make people cut back on feeding it. And if the banana really was the culprit, then just suggesting that it shouldn't be fed is a big help.

It may not help to hear this now, but sometimes deaths happen for a reason. It's horrible that you have lost your two pigs, but this may end up saving many more.

Luv4piggies

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:41 pm

I am so very sorry for the loss of your guinea pigs. When you feel better, it might be nice as others said to get the remaining one a friend. Take it easy, and I hope you and your family feel better soon. Sending many comforts and wishes of strength.

etplante

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:47 pm

I'm so sorry SMS, that is terrible news.

totoro33
Supporter in '06

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:50 pm

Wow, I had no idea that bananas could be that deadly. I hope your daughter finds a way not to blame herself. Best wishes to your poor family.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:51 pm

All acceptable foods in moderation. I don't think the small bits some of us feed are a problem. Sounds like there is a strong enough possiblity the banana was partly to blame to warn against over feeding any fruits. They have lots of natural sugars and aren't the best food for a guinea pig anyway.

Elly

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:30 am

I'm very sorry for what you are going through. It's such a terrible and tragic accident.

I'm sorry to say that it is very much likely the banana that did it. I never feed my GPs banana or other similar fruits/veggies because I personally feel the risk is too great.

I know many people do feed items like banana in moderation and everything is fine. Most of the time it is fine.

Unfortunately I have seen a few too many cases of drastic and sudden constipation caused by bananas (or some other types of foods). At the best the constipation clears up after some discomfort. At the worst it can be aggrivated by gas and cause bloat/torsion and death.

I do not blame you for what happened and you should not blame yourself. Your daughter should absolutely not feel guilty. These horrible things happen and you had no idea that a treat given with love could cause such devistation and heartbreak.

Hugs to you and your daughter. I also hope you feel better soon (from your surgery).