We are devastated

EllieMom

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:56 am

I told Ellie about your tragedy. Her eyes welled up because she felt so bad for the pigs and for your daughter. And she was scared because, as she said, "That's something I would do!" I hope you all feel better soon.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:04 am

I am so sorry.

amy m guinea

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:09 pm

I feel so so sorry for you and your daughter. Thank you for letting us know about bananas. I hope she doesn't blame herself for too long. Perhaps telling her that you also didn't know how bad bananas were, and that she fed them out of love, and that you know she loved your pigs. You could tell her that guineas are delicate in many ways and you know she never meant anything but good. But stress again how no one in the house feeds the pigs anything not on the list. I think having a list by the cage is a good idea.

Adopting two new pigs would be a good way to heal, and maybe you could stress to your daughter how you are saving the new pigs and giving them a good life with you.

This is truly so sad, and it is terrible that it happened while you were having your own health problems.

elaineko
Supportive

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:42 pm

Wow, I'm so sorry for you and your daughters. I had no idea that something like that could be dangerous. I can imagine the same thing happening at my house. So I appreciate you sharing your experience. You probably saved some pigs with your warning.

Electra

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:49 pm

SMS,
I'm very sorry for your loss. There's normally guilt when we lose our family pets, but this must be so traumatic.
I want you to know, based on your experience, I will be reviewing with my husband how to care for our pigs. I would hate for an uplanned situation (like you had) cause him to guess at what is required. Prior to this, his only interface with them is holding them during impaction cleaning or nail clipping, waving his fingers at them and saying "Hello Hamsters!". I will also follow this up with a printed guideline.
You have shared a very personal tragedy, but also brought to light something that could happen to any of us.
Your family is in my thoughts.

saggymilksacks

Post   » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:10 pm

Yes, it's a very good idea to make sure the whole family is educated. My husband feels terrible. I've shared a lot of what I've learned here with them, but obviously not enough.

My daughter has been reassured it's not her fault. She did it with my husband's approval, so she'll be okay.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:16 am

I didn't know that could happen. I have only given it in small amounts before because my piggies don't like it that much, but I had no idea that could happen.

You should tell your daughters how many people on GL didn't even know that could happen.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:26 pm

I'm so sorry this happened. As Fweeprluvr said, I had no idea--my vet told me bananas were safe and we've been using them to help keep the weight on our senior pig. We'll be careful to limit them very strictly from now on. At least the rest of us are now warned.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:11 pm

I'm so sorry for your losses, very sad. Take care.

ShadowBlasko
Supporter in '05

Post   » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:50 pm

Funny, our piggies don't care much for bananas, but get a section of banana ~peel~ (usually one banana peel split between 8 piggies per week... sometimes twice a week) and they love them.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss, and I have been in both situations before. As the one who didn't know, and the one who was trying to comfort another who didn't know.

I would not have thought that amount to be dangerous. I can't help but to think there was a mitigating or aggrivating factor involved.

shannen
Supporter in '05

Post   » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:57 pm

Oh, my goodness, how tragic. I'm so sorry. They're so hard to lose by themselves, let alone together. Take care of yourself and your little daughter; that poor girl must feel awful. It wasn't her fault and she can't blame herself. Make sure she knows that.

Gusthepiggie

Post   » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry :( I'm glad I found this post though. I was just about to feed my guinea pig part of a banana. I took it out by the time I found this, and he only ate a bit, so basically, you could have just saved the life of Gus.
Thanks, and I'm so sorry, that must have been so sad :(