Looking for reassurance!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:33 pm

I am sure this is ok but...

My Miss Penny has weighed between 1115g and 1120g since November. Last night I weighed her and she was 1095g. I must have weighed her all night and this morning too! She is still 1095g. On 2/25 she was 1115g, on 3/16 she was 1130 g (which was heavy for her) and then last night the 1095g. I know it is just a little over an ounce but she has always been so consistent. Also, I am leaving town on Friday for 5 days. So, I am a little freaked out!!! She is eating like a horse and doing eveything else perfectly. I even separated her for breakfast and she ate a ton.

So... help put my mind to rest! Or... tell me to worry!

Kara

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:39 pm

Oh Geez, a big dump can weigh an ounce. I really wouldn´t worry.

KarasKavies

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:55 pm

Thanks Pinta. Does the word "neurotic" come to mind??!! She´s my baby!!

Kara

pigpal

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:15 pm

You could always weigh the poops..........

Sunny

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:13 pm

Ha! I´ve always said my pigs poop their own body weight daily. Where does it all come from!!???

CenterFielderNo5

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:31 pm

LOL, I guess I should buy that scale soon so I can get just as worried as Kara when they lose 19 milligrams of weight ;)

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:54 am

CF... not milligrams! Grams. PP... ok... make fun of me if you want!! I am a little neurotic after losing Taffy this fall. She had steady and rapid weight loss. OK, OK, OK... I may be a little neurotic but at least I care! I do think I should put my scale away now!!

Kara

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2002 7:06 am

Don´t put it away. Just weigh them about the same time every day and kind of keep track of it, knowing that 1 or 2 ounces variation is probably okay. Picking the same time may help to lessen the intake/output variables.

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:22 pm

Lynx, my dad was weighing her at night and I am going to continue for awhile. You know I couldn´t really put that scale away! It´s just odd that she was 1115 on the nose for over 6 months and now all of a sudden she is 1085 to 1095. One night she was 1110. I have my eye on her. My dad said by about the third day she started to run when he tried to get her. I think she is a little tired of getting in the bowl! I really won´t be happy until she is back to 1115.

Kara

bats

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:08 pm

We weigh our pigs every other week... and find that a 20-25 gram variation isn´t unusual in an adult. I chalk it up to time of day, time since they last pigged out, the amount of water in their systems, and their position on the scale. However, when our last two pigs were gravely ill, we saw a 100 gram drop within a week. That amount is scary, and ultimately a very sad thing to see. -- Bob

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:36 pm

Thank you Bats. It is scary to put them on the scale when they are ill and see them lose gram after gram day after day. Since she is stable, I am a little less worried. How many adult pigs do you have? It is reassuring to hear your description of your pigs´ weights. My 3 are just now a year so up until this point they had been gaining almost every time I weighed them. They have all been about the same now since Christmas. And now this thing with Penny. I am taking them all in Sunday for a "well piggie" check!

Kara
Last edited by KarasKavies on Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:37 pm

P.S. bats, your piggie looks like my piggie!! this is Penny.
Last edited by KarasKavies on Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.