Pine Cones ?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:21 am

I dont know.. I assumed that if pine bedding is harmful to pigs, then pine cones should be not too great either.
Isnt there some oil in pine thats harmful?

Hey, I may be totally wrong..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:15 am

I think the pinecones would be fine. If they were very resinous (had desposits on them -- maybe you've seen some like this? I have) I would not use them but pinecones are not the same as resinous wood.

critterluv02

Post   » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:22 am

ChunkyPiggie - It is my understanding that long exposure to aromatic hydrocarbons in the pine bedding is what needs to be avoided. When used as bedding the piggies have no where to escape the constant inhalation of them. It eventually starts to affect their respiratory system. I do believe that pine bedding is processed from the trunk of the tree and do not know that the cones even contain the same.

At any rate, by putting one or so pine cones in their cage, surely does not force them to be contsantly exposed to the strong elements continually. They can nibble and walk away. I also believe that pine shavings are pretty safe when used in moderation. I know there is alot of diversity on the issue, but when it comes down to it, I have never seen or heard of it to happen where a critter dies gasping for breath after a few short days on pine as I do hear of from Cedar.

Megan

Post   » Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:03 am

Here is a thread on another forum that may be of use. A lot of the questions asked here have been asked and answered there- such as why pine bedding is harmful to animals, yet the pine cones are perfectly safe.

This is a chinchilla thread, but there really is some useful information about pine cones. You can see both sides of the 'story' -Why people think its good, why people think its bad. Nancy/Hedgehogmom is the person I got my info from, and personally - I'm willing to try pine cones as I trust her.

http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/sh ... adid=38551 ...happy reading, lol