Introducing Pearl & Opal

Puddnik

Post   » Sat May 27, 2006 12:02 pm

A little background info as an appetizer:

I've always loved animals. From the second grade on, I had always listed "veterinarian" as my occupation of choice (when I was in 1st grade, as an ever-imressionable six year old, I'd somehow gotten the idea that a airline stewardess sounded fun). But somehow in all those years, I'd never shown any interest in guinea pigs - I just didn't understand the attraction. In hindsight, I probably saw them as "tail-less rats" - and I do have a fear of rats, still give me jitters.

Let's flash forward a few decades - a couple of months ago, to be precise. My four year old son (the obvious baby of the family, his older brothers are almost 18 and 21) announced he wanted a guinea pig - and was very concise and vocal about this. Now, before you start to worry - no, I would never "give" a pet to a child this age as his responsibility.

So, off I went to Wikipedia as my first source of information, and to our local pet store to investigate. I fell head over heels for this little sweetie, Pearl. She had to come home with me.

Since coming home on May 7th, I'm happy to say she's gained over 15% of her weight (from 530g to 610g), and loves her fresh veggies (she wasn't sure about them at first, but warmed to the idea very quickly). But it was obvious she was lonely, and needed companionship while we're at work all day. So, off I went two weeks later to bring home Opal (are there blue guinea pigs? I can see a Turquoise in the future, can't you?). It would have been sooner, but I needed a little time to get my C & C cage in place.

I'm happy to say that due to some serious lurking, I did learn enough that the introduction went smoothly. Every indication shows them to be "best buds". And yes, she is a little plump - I got confirmation when I felt three kicks this morning - she's expecting. From what I've read and observed, I'm figuring on her being around 5 weeks along - babies could not be felt last week, but she was a little "big-boned".

So, mark me down as another Cavy Slave - little buggers are eating better than I do. This weekend will in all likelihood be remembered as "The Great Fleece Escapade", I'm digging out the sewing machine, the ever present apen/hay/carefresh mess is getting on my nerves. Better off for them too, I'd surmise, since it's alot easier to keep clean.

A big thank you to Lynx, and the other members of this board - you have been a great reference, and educated me greatly thus far.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat May 27, 2006 1:03 pm

Congratulations on your little critters!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 27, 2006 3:01 pm

Wonderful story! We're looking forward to more of it -- and I hope your pre-pregnant sow's birth is uncomplicated (I imagine you've read the reproductive info in the guide).

Puddnik

Post   » Sat May 27, 2006 4:14 pm

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that her pregnancy is uncomplicated also. And I have read almost all the info I can - even spending all last night and today on "guinea stuff" - when I still need to catch up on back episodes of Lost. Sigh.

I would like a moment to clarify that "the Ladies" are in no way or means the little guy's pets - strictly Mom's! He assists sometimes with floor time, and has learned fairly well not to move too quick or too loud when they are out.

Now, if I can teach Mongo, our Black Lab, that "the Ladies" have absolutely no interest whatsoever in being a plaything, life'll be good. Er, better.

Puddnik

Post   » Mon May 29, 2006 5:50 pm

Well, the fleece is in, despite my less than stellar sewing machine skills:

They seem quite content, until Mom sweeps the poops up for the 16th time.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon May 29, 2006 5:52 pm

Nice psychadelic theme. Need a disco ball now.

Tammy

Post   » Mon May 29, 2006 11:48 pm

I love the little crest of each of their heads. So cute!

Puddnik

Post   » Tue May 30, 2006 7:54 pm

>Nice psychadelic theme.

If I were so inclined, a line of Greatful Dead "dancing bears" on the coroplast front would go well, wouldn't it?

I keep telling folks I'm not a DeadHead, I just dress like one on the weekends. At last count, I have over a dozen different tie-dyed shirts, so the fleece was a shoe-in as soon as I saw it.