tea tree oil warning

pinta

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:26 am

While looking for nontoxic pig safe sunscreen, I was told by the owner of the natural pet food store that she knew of a new sunscreen but needed to make sure it didn't contain tea tree oil. I was surprised and asked why.

She said it's absorbed thru the skin and can cause kidney problems. Cats absoluitely should not have it and she was pretty sure it would be bad news for pigs. Seemed there is info on this if anyone cares to google.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:35 am

I found this link about tea tree oil.

http://messybeast.com/teatree.htm

I just read a on a bird forum that the fumes are very toxic to them.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:07 am

Wow - I wonder if the same applies to dogs?

I bath mine in tea tree oil shampoo - perhaps I'll just dump it!

jul312

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:15 am

I am DEATHLY ALLERGIC to it. It is in most of the natural hand lotions, shampoos, etc.

Check out the MSDS on it http://www.libertynatural.com/msd/80.htm. If it can be that harmful to people, just imagine what it can do to piggies.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:21 am

Mum, a couple of other links I found said it can sometimes affect dogs but not always.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:23 am

Thanks, Karen. I guess it's not worth the risk then.

Wheekers3

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Wow, I have heard a bunch of "rat people" using and reccomending it for bumblefoot and wounds.

They are so small, I am sure it is not good for them

pinta

Post   » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:09 pm

The natural food person likened its affects to cedar bedding. Causes the same problems. Excellent as a bug repellant but what repels the bugs harms the animal. I suspect the damage wouldn't be noticed til years after the exposure and it's unlikely the average person would make a connection.

I must say I was pretty impressed with her level of concern about the products she sold. She applies the same concern to our pigs' needs that she does to her cat and dog clients.