Retinal Degeneration

spyturtle008

Post   » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:26 am

I have an opthamologist for my cat; I will get an appointment for Baby as well. I realize that the scenario my vet mentioned may still be a possibility -- didn't want to give the impression that I'm not still worried, just a little more hopeful that it might not be inevitable... Thanks again everyone for your posts!

spyturtle008

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 9:49 am

Hello all,

Resurrecting a very old thread since I've gotten several contacts about the photos posted here recently -- thought I'd share what little more I have on the subject (what we've since learned to be osseus metaplasia).

We lost Baby in December '07 to something completely unrelated, and although the degeneration continued, she never appeared to have any pain in her eyes (or sight loss, although that's difficult to ascertain with these critters, of course). I saw signs of o.m. in several of my other older pigs, and have learned not to worry -- I've never had this lead to other problems / pain.

My current piglet, Spud, has o.m. to a much greater degree even than the photos above -- and he is only 2 1/2 years old. Much the same as Baby, we have reason to believe he was inbred. This makes me think that inbreeding and old age are the two primary factors in development of o.m. (He is also overweight and has been diagnosed with a heart murmur, which I also guess has a great deal to do with his lineage.)

The questions I've received re: this thread have been about the photos, so I'd just like to say that anyone is welcome to repost or use them in any way that might be helpful to other pig-slaves.

Cheers,
Meghann

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 10:46 am

Thanks so much for providing an update. I am so sorry you lost Baby. Unusual that Spud has the same condition.

I do get occasional requests about pics and always direct inquiries to the photographer. I should start a collection of permissions from photographers concerning reuse.

spyturtle008

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Thank you, Lynx, for providing such a great forum. It's been a great source of information throughout the years.

I'm wondering how unusual o.m. is, since I've seen so much of it -- at least some signs of it in something like half the pigs I've taken in in the last ten years or so (3 out of 7). Or, perhaps it's something environmental. I can't imagine what, though -- they've all lived in a well-ventilated area with Carefresh, so unless there's some kind of hidden factor here, I have no idea. Hopefully we'll know more about this someday.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 09, 2011 9:57 pm

Sounds very very unusual to come across so many cases. I wonder what it could be. Though we've had a few other cases here, it does not seem all that prevalent. One thing you might do is contact other guinea pig owners in the area who care for their pigs pretty well (longer lives) and see if they have the same experiences.