Ack! Why did Jackie lose weight?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:29 am

Shortly before Einstein died, Jackie weighed 3 pounds. With everything, I haven't been keeping up on weighing. Tonight I noticed that his back seemed a little bony, so I weighed him, and he was down to 2 pounds 9 ounces. Ack! I know I should have been keeping up over the past 2 months. Jackie lives next to, but not with, the ladies, in a 2x2 section of a cage.

He is not having any symptoms of illness, other than a few sneezes and possibly some more lethargy. He's still stuffing his face, pooping copiously, and hitting on the ladies. He talks more than he used to before losing his brother. His butt is extra-foul lately, with tons of ball zits and glands full of revolting yellowish goop. I want to get him neutered, both for his social life and the hope of fixing his butt problems, but I don't know why he's losing weight.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:12 am

I think Jackie is almost three?

Pippin/Thunder lost weight after Lightning died. Then I made the mistake of stuffing him.

I would see a vet, but I'm sure he'll be okay.

whittibo

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:04 am

I don't have any advice, just good wishes for Jackie.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:12 am

Well, you know to look for signs of malocclusion. Does there seem to be any pain or discomfort? Sounds like he needs his butt cleaned on a regular basis. Maybe the pores are getting blocked up causing the sebaceous cysts?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:46 am

Poor Jackie. With Einstein gone, it is tempting to attribute his weight loss to that. Did he eat Einey's pellet mash? Maybe he isn't consuming as much fattening food if he was stealing those treats.

Good luck with stink-butt.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:00 pm

He is not having any symptoms of illness, other than a few sneezes and possibly some more lethargy.
That's a lot of weight to lose. Has he been checked for heart issues, I wonder?

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:16 pm

I agree with Snowflakey....maybe Jackie is slimming down because he's not hogging all of Einy's food anymore.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:01 pm

He ate Einy's food all the time. In fact, I used to have to pull Jackie out of the cage at Einy's mealtimes so he wouldn't steal it all.

He doesn't act like he's in pain. He spends most of his time gnawing on the grids trying to impress his mother.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:08 pm

Poor boy - he's probably missing his buddy. And his food :-p

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:16 pm

Ahhh I think Jackie misses little Einstein. Just as we all do. Maybe the food Einstein was eating was keeping Jackies weight up. Please keep us updated. I hope Jackie feels better soon.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:03 am

Well, Jackie's been holding his weight steady for the past couple of months. However, I'm really concerned about all his butt zits. It seems like every pore is full of stinky whitish paste, making for a lumpy testicular landscape.

Has anyone else seen such pervasive butt zits?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:10 am

He also has a bump on his skin right in front of his left hind leg. The skin isn't discolored and the bump doesn't have any clear demarcation, but he struggles when I feel it. It's firm but not hard, and definitely on the skin.