New To Guinea Lynx

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:28 pm

I have a very big male baby here who weighs 10.5 ounces at 2 weeks old. Just so you know, this is huge. I had a littler of 5 males some months ago who weighed half that at 2 weeks.

I see no evidence of an umbilical stump at 2 weeks.

You must get a scale at home and begin weighing both pigs regularly - it really is an essential part of guinea pig care. You'll need to be weighing the baby every day for a while anyway.

PiggieMamma
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:39 pm

have a two story cage for now and they each have their own story
They really shouldn't be in the same room at this point.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:05 am

I didn't notice that. Why do people not understand quarantine? If they are in the same room, that is NOT quarantine. Diseases are airborne. Parasites can pass between them easily.

Keep a close eye on both and prepared to treat for any illnesses.

Skeeter-and-Me

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:04 pm

I put them in seperate rooms last nught, and will leave them there for 3 weeks. I hope that they will be healthy and stay healthy. I am getting a scale today so that I can have one at home instead of using the one from work. Thank you for all the info.

Skeeter-and-Me

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:15 pm

If you look on the page about sexing the pups the white female( the first photo) you can see the umbelical stump, this is exactly what mine looks like, it says that the baby in the picture is 3-5 days old? I AM WORRIED!!!! is there any milk replacement I CAN USE? Should I worry? I am going to weigh her now. Be back in 5 minutes?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:16 pm

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:24 pm

Let us know how much she weighs - we might be able to hazard a guess based on her weight.

No milk replacement. You would use Critical Care in a 1cc syringe with the tip cut off. Aspiration is a great risk in tiny babies, though, so it's not something to be undertaken lightly.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Should I worry? I am going to weigh her now. Be back in 5 minutes?
Still waiting to hear the weight?

Skeeter-and-Me

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:31 pm

sorry about the weight
she weighs 7 ounces

Skeeter-and-Me

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:42 pm

sorry about the wait, she weighs 7 ounces

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:57 pm

Gosh, that is incredibly small. It's unlikely that baby is even 3 weeks old, although I suppose there's a chance the mom had a lot of babies - which usually makes them small.

Is she eating and drinking ok?

You need to observe her really carefully and make sure she eats and drinks enough to increase her weight. Weigh her every single day without fail. Get some critical care and some 1cc syringes to have on hand in case you need them. Actually, I'd put critical care in a bowl in her cage just to give her some extra nutrition. And be sure she's getting high-quality alfalfa pellets - Oxbow's Cavy Performance would be best.

Also, I'd bet on it that nobody really knows the sex yet. She may turn out to be a he.

Skeeter-and-Me

Post   » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:09 pm

I was afriad that she/he was too small, I hope that it will be okay and live, it drinks from the water bottle ok but I will go get some critical care. Do you think that alfalfa hay will be okay instead of pellets, I already have some hay but can get pellets if needed. Should I take it back tomorrow so it can be with its mother? I have the time to watch it very carefully and feed it but would it need it's mother better?