Request for heart pig stories

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:39 pm

Harry had an enlarged heart upon xray today. My vet counted 4 rib spaces. He considers the heart enlarged when it goes past 3 or 4 rib spaces. His dosage is the same as Frizzle's, .6 twice daily of lotensin.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:31 pm

1 - breed, age and sex of pig

Eloise, Teddy, female, less than a year. Was about 6 months old when pulled from shelter.

2 - brief description of symptoms that made you suspect heart problems

Came in with 'pneumonia' - never showed any signs of illness, except for rattling and fluid in the lungs, shown on xray. No signs of an enlarged heart. Treated with doxy and baytril. Rattling subsided after 3 days. Today foster parent realized she had been hooting for a while and coughing in the mornings. Is gaining weight well but has become more lethargic. Squishy belly.

3 - diagnostics done and the results

Previous xrays taken when she came in from the shelter only showed some fluid, no enlarged heart. Will get xrays repeated next week.

4 - treatment, med and dosage

Will start on a 10-day trial today:
Lasix 5mg once a day
Lotensin 1mg twice a day

5 - results of treatment

TBD

6 - other med issues

None[/quote]

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:33 pm

Frosting, silkie, at least 3 years old (probably more), female. Found outside petstore last week.

Very lethargic, squishy belly

None yet, will get xray next week

Starting on a 10-day trial of lotensin: 1mg twice a day

5 - results of treatment

TBD

6 - other med issues

eye problem, probably common to old age (discussed in her thread)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:07 am

Update on Frosting and Eloise:

x-rays taken yesterday:

Eloise's showed a very enlarged heart. The previous xray taken back in January was of poor quality, and her heart was obscured.o

Frosting also showed a very enlarged heart. And she is at least 6 years old, maybe more.

Both are now on lotensin 1.0mg twice a day. Eloise is given lasix when she rattles.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:11 am

Leo, male, rescued September 06, adopted out same month. xray shows he's about 4

Lap pig, very 'laid back.' Recently lost 12 ounces in 3 weeks, but may have been in part due to mouth abscess

xray showed very enlarged heart

lotensin: 1mg twice a day

5 - results of treatment

TBD

6 - other med issues

abscess in mouth

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:13 am

Muffin, sow, about 4 years old (determined by xray), pulled from shelter several months ago. Currently in foster.

Somewhat lethargic, possibly due to blindness

xray showed enlarged heart on one side

lotensin: 1mg twice a day

5 - results of treatment

TBD

6 - other med issues

partially blind

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:49 am

The vet discussed the xray with a radiologist. Her heart isn't enlarged after all - it was rotated on the xray.

Stopping the lotensin since she shows no other signs (that couldn't be explained by blindness).

pinta

Post   » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:44 am

1 - Dervish, 4-year-old sow, lilac smooth hair with some ridges.

2 - Normally a wild pig who is hard to catch, Dervish became easy to catch and stopped coming out of the condo to free-range.

3 - Vet listened to heart with stethoscope. 300 heart rate

4 - Fortekor twice a day

5 - suddenly started coming out of the condo and is getting harder to catch after 2 days of heart meds.

6 - none so far.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:39 pm

Update on Frosting:

Day 16 of lotensin at a dosage of 1.0mg twice a day:

she's running laps around the cage and popcorning (pretty impressive for an old lady!).

She occasionally hoots, and when she does I give her 0.3ccs of lasix.

Becky

Post   » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:00 pm

Chippy is a Peruvian female. Born February 1999.

Chippy was not as active as usual and easier to catch. In fact, I was able to put my hand on her once before she woke up. She also has been losing weight very gradually.

Vet took an x-ray. Her heart was enlarged slightly. There also was a pocket of fluid in her lungs as well as another mass. He suspected the second mass was fluid-filled, but we'll monitor it.

Enalapril (20mg) suspended with Oraplus 18.0mls and Orasweet 2.0 mls: (1mg/ml) Her dosage is 0.25 mls orally once daily.

Furosemide (200mg) suspended with Oraplus 18>0 mls and Orasweet 2.0 mls: (100mg/ml). Her dosage is 0.15mls twice a day for seven days, then once daily.

5 - results of treatment

I noticed an increase in energey very quickly, particularly in how she is eating. Today, however (3 days into treatment), her breathing seems a bit stickier. Followup x-ray and med adjustment on July 15.

6 - other med issues

Was spayed for ovarian cysts. Had major bladder sludge issues and chronic inflammation of the bladder. Has arthritis in her back. Passes mucus and blood on occasion.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:05 am

Millie, possibly texel or teddy mix, 20 months, surrendered

Always been quiet from birth. Came to me after giving birth to 3 babies who died. Mother didn't feed them. Was very lethargic and not eating. Owner said she was always quiet.

Xray finally showed enlarged heart (first xray was poor and didn't show heart properly - vet said it was ok. I insisted on more xrays until we had a good view).

1mg lotensin twice daily.

5 - results of treatment

TBD

6 - other med issues

Treated for pneumonia, which cleared quickly. Still treating for other issues, including mouth abscesses resulting from accident with buccal pad separators. Ongoing diarreah and anorexia.

FanGirl

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:16 pm

Tony (diagnosed 2 days ago)
1 - Neutered Boar, american 4.5 years old
2 - Noticed weight loss and interesed in eating but only nibbled at food.
3 - Vet heard a murmer and his heart was beating so fast that it was burning off too much food. Also discovered a URI
4 - Syringe feed hin mashed pellet food with baby food fruit and veggies to put weight back on and stumulate appatite, andtibiotic for URI. NO heart Meds
5 - Doing better and starting to eat more on his own
6 - No other medical issues