Diarrhea + fit

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:07 pm

Eew!

Pigglies

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:56 pm

By the way, those are actually the same photo. The first is resized much smaller. The second was cropped to show just the eye and then resized only a little bit smaller.

The eye does look much worse than before. Poor Meggie.

pinta

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:05 pm

Does it cause her pain? Looks pretty dead. Arthur has a dead eye that we tear gell twice a day to keep it lubricated to avoid taking it out. So far doing the trick.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:19 pm

Poor Meg. It looks like the covering has enveloped her whole eye. Sounds like knowing what it is ("Osseous metaplasia of the mesectodermal trabecular meshwork") was of no use in treating it.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:16 pm

What you are seeing is actually corneal melting (necrotising keratitis). Its cause is not fully agreed upon but it has been connected to a variety of diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, PKD, and Vitamin A deficiency. There are some studies which show that certain types of NSAIDS exacerbate the condition. Treatments include topical ointments, corneal transplant and immunosuppressant drugs such as cyclosporin. There was also one study which showed the condition responding to drugs in the Tetracycline family.

The osseous metaplasia only exists at the margin -- there is no iris anymore and the lens is transparent. That is blood and pus you are seeing. We have tried oral and topical antibiotics with no difference. I do not know if the eye bothers her. She does not paw at it but she does show signs of pain; however, she has numerous other health conditions including severe arthritis in her back. I put Atropine ointment on the eye and she gets Torb twice daily.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:14 am

Meg, my Monterey sow, passed away this morning. She was around six years old.

Spike789

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:30 am

Oh, Charybdis, I'm so sorry.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:30 am

Looks like you went through alot with her, so sorry for your loss. Rest in Peace Meg.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:47 am

I'm sorry, Charybdis.

lisam

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:32 am

I'm so sorry. Goodbye, Meg, safe journey.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:16 am

I'm so sorry.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:26 am

I'm terribly sorry.