theory on chirping

Teresa

Post   » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:43 pm

Is that the one we saw at Bat's house?

That would be a great video to share!!

chocolates mom

Post   » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:05 pm

My Pepper chirped at 9:am in the morning a couple of weeks ago. I was in the bathroom when he started and I was able to walk right up and watch him, awesome. Another pig, Chocolate one of our pigs does it at 3 or 4 in the morning.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:28 pm

I would love to see a mad, popcorning pig. Hope you can do it!

My only advice is to make a short enough version that people with lousy access can see it (maybe a longer and shorter version).

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:34 pm

I want to get a video camera so we can tape Tigger popcorning. A blind pig with a headtilt, running like mad around and around the cage, and banging into stuff. It's hysterical.

Tammy

Post   » Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:20 pm

Someone chirped so loud last night it woke me up! I have no clue to who it was but the pig on my avatar is a suspect... then there's Baby Kramer and Marble.

Is chirping a male or female thing? or both?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:50 pm

Both.

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:41 pm

Wow,

I thought this was so weird when I listened to the sound clip. Then I was just browsing over Teresa's dream date thread (he sounds like a great guy!) when I heard Ellie chirping. It was so strange to hear it coming from one of my pigs... maybe she smells the boars in the other room? I've never heard her do this before.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:41 pm

If it happened after you played the soundclip, she may have been inspired. Sometimes Nina (who you listened too) will chirp after I've played it.

kazmeyer

Post   » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:10 am

Last night I got to hear our Parvati do it for the first time. We were sitting in the living room chatting, and all of a sudden I noticed the A/C was making a weird noise. Then I realized the A/C wasn't on. We were able to sneak over to the cage and saw her, standing rigid and tranced out, forcing little puffs of air out and cheeping like mad. It was really, really amazing watching her do it - it almost looked involuntary. She went for fully five or ten minutes, off and on, before she snapped out of it, raced around the cage, and stuck her head in the hayrack and started munching away.

10ginee_pigz_rok23

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:29 am

I've never heard my two chirp, but from reading all of the "Theory on chirping" replies it seems the pigs do it early in the morning. Just a few possibilities:
1)darkness (probably not)
2)telling that it's morning or the crack of dawn (probably not)
or
3)maybe they think it's too quiet and they want to spruce up the room with some noise.

*!Ginee Pigz Rok!*

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:39 am

I only have one chirper--Job, a pig who lives by himself because he attacks other pigs. He has only chirped on two occasions: 1) when I first put him in a cage that adjoined other pigs' cages and 2) the night after he bit me, which also was a night that he got a new neighbor. I think he chirps when he is upset.

pinta

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:53 am

Ours do it any time of day. Seems to go in cycles. It will be peaceful for a few weeks and then chirping at all hours for a week or so. They do it early morning, evening and middle of the day. The other pigs don't seem concerned. I've had both boars and sows chirp. Right now it's just 2 or 3 who are into chirping. We yell at them to shut up. I think they're just mesmerized by the sound of their own voices. They certainly aren't panicked.