Sow with lump (cyst?) in ear.

daftscotslass

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:34 am

A few weeks ago I noticed that Bonnie my almost 2 year old sow had a lump inside her ear so off she went to the vet. The vet said that it was a cyst and had seen one recently that had disappeared of its own accord. I was instructed to take her back if the lump showed signs of getting any larger or blocking the ear canal but was given no treatment, hence she has been watched like a hawk. Her behaviour is completely normal, eating and drinking like (excuse the pun) a pig. Her weight has been stable for the last 6 months at 1150g.

The lump is right inside the ear canal rather on the flap and over the last couple of days has grown to a size that it has started to block the ear. She is back to the vet in an hour. The lump is perfectly round and not solid. If you look closely at the photo you will see a small spot on it that almost looks like a puncture, perhaps the root cause? It's left of the middle.

I've seen a few posts with something similar but would like to know if anyone has seen this sort of thing specifically. Thanks!

caregiver

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:33 pm

The vet should have done a fine needle aspiration at your first visit.
Please insist that this be done at your visit today. A culture of the debris, fluid, whatever is removed, needs to be done so as to determine what type of cyst it is.
It could be a benign fatty cyst, which is not serious except for the problems it's size and location can cause. But culturing first is absolutely necessary.

daftscotslass

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:37 pm

Been and saw our regular vet (who I didn't see the last time). She's going in to the vet hospital on Monday where our regular vet will investigate further and remove if appropriate.

lisam

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:22 pm

Wow, great photo. Can you also do a farther away shot so we can see more of her ear to get a different perspective?

Did the vet take a culture?

daftscotslass

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:24 pm

No, she didn't, I didn't even think to ask, only saw the second post when I got back.

Edit: Will take another pic just now.

lisam

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:42 pm

Perfect picture. Lynx will love it.

Good luck to your little girl on Monday.

Becky

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:07 pm

It looks a lot like the lump on Bats' Munchkin. Maybe he can pop in and give some more insight.

Also, I'm just curious. What is the white "stuff" in front of her ear in the first picture?

daftscotslass

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:19 pm

Skin. It's pinker than it looks in the picture. She has the same coloured skin under her white fur.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:29 pm

Yes, super pic! Is it okay if I add it to the forum?

There was someone else whose pig had a somewhat similar mass in the ear. The vet operated once or twice trying to remove it. I don't think the pig made it.

A biopsy would be helpful in deciding what it is. I do think it will need to be surgically removed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:36 pm

This is what I was thinking of. Polyps.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... hlight=ear

shirleytx

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:01 pm

that looks just like the cyst that my piggy Hero had. https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ht=#433338 Our vet removed it and there has been no further complications.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:25 pm

Cool! I was actually thinking of that pic and I could not for the life of me find the thread or whose pig it was. Thanks so much for posting.

And I'm so glad you pointed out it was removed with no further problems.