Sow with lump (cyst?) in ear.

shirleytx

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:03 pm

So weird to see the other picture it looked so much like the cyst on Hero. Almost two years ago and she is doing great.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:08 pm

I see (after rereading it) that your pig had an abscess/blocked duct. Looks like this might be similar.

daftscotslass

Post   » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:28 am

That's fine if you add it Lynx.

I'm glad it's my regular vet doing the surgery as she has brought my other pig through anaesthetic previously and this time the work is external, far less invasive. Bonnie is a big, healthy pig overall so I have my fingers crossed.

Good to hear your pig came through it OK Shirley.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:23 am

Thanks! A fine addition to the medical forum. Let us know if this too is an abscess.

daftscotslass

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:10 am

Bumping this with an update.

Bonnie was in first thing this morning and I've just spoken to the vet. She has come through the anaesthetic bright eyed and bushy bummed.

The vet is pretty positive it was an abscess. Needle aspiration under the anaesthetic brought out a load of thick pus so she went ahead with the removal. It was drained and the lining (I think she used the term capsule?) removed along with excess tissue formed from its growth.

I will know more when I pick her up later and will get pics when she is settled. I have a big list of questions for them - ack!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:14 am

Yes, I think I've heard it referred to as a capsule too.

So good to get it removed. You don't want an infection in the ear spreading.

daftscotslass

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:39 pm

Here's an update picture:

You can see to the top right of the inside of her ear a pale coloured/yellowish patch. It was a pretty nasty abscess that they were able to drain completely, remove the remaining tissue, clean and cauterize. It is very neat - thankfully apart from where it joined the skin the ear is normal. The vet is hopeful it won't return and is very pleased with the outcome.

She has had injectable abs (doxy) and pain meds (metacam). She is back home and is eating, drinking and pooping like a trooper. We are back to our local vet practice (owned by the vet hospital where all surgeries are performed 6 miles away) on Thursday for a follow-up.

So glad to have her home!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:12 pm

Thanks for the update and new pic! Do check back and let us know how it is healing in a week and a month. This is the kind of thing you really need to see a vet for. Sounds like it was treated right.

daftscotslass

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:40 pm

The only odd thing I've noticed is that she seems to be re-ingesting all/most of her poops. I was a bit concerned that there were only a few when I looked in her cage but I've been watching her and she's clearly eating normal ones. Lots of them!

daftscotslass

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:13 am

Bonnie's ear is healing well, parts of the wound have crusted over and fallen off already. She has had a great week.

Unfortunately today she has suddenly developed really clicky sounding breathing so I'm taking her to the vet in 2 hours time. She's still behaving normally, eating and drinking so I'm hoping that if it's the start of a URI I have caught it early enough.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:19 am

Good luck with the breathing. Hopefully you've nipped it in the bud. Great that her ear is healing so well. Best wishes today!

daftscotslass

Post   » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:39 am

Overall, I think it's panic over. At the vet Bonnie had a top-up of her antibiotic. Her breathing was back to normal within the hour. I think it was complete coincidence.

Overnight the scab/crust covering the wound came off and bled slightly. It has, however, stopped completely. I have a sneaky suspiscion that the crackling sound was related to fluid draining off (would that make sense?) - it has returned again this morning but is very intermittent.

Anyway, she is back for another checkup on Monday morning first thing.