Pyrethins - the effect on guinea pigs.

TWP_2

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:53 pm

Sorry, the research to create those links took long enough that you all posted several times before I clicked submit.

LibraryGryffon

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:17 pm

That's more than OK. The link to the HSDB pages lets anyone interested easily find out the rest of the stuff they have including the human toxicity stuff too. And as I said, it's a really great resource.

lisam

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:17 pm

Pyrethrins are used quite a bit in horse fly sprays. I was confused, when reading directions, to discover that they give warnings not to get it on your skin when applying it. So why, if it's toxic to me, isn't it toxic to my horse?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:30 pm

Ah, the .gov stuff! Love it! I have some NADA files on my site and there is copyright info saying we can use them. I used to just link to the files and they kept moving the darn things around so I had dead links! I just hated that. So I took them up on their being public documents and stuck them here.

Perpetual Pig Slave

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:41 am

I read an article in the Minneapolis paper last week that said companies are now installing "mosquito control systems" for your yard. They work similar to timed sprinkling systems except they spray pyrethins instead of water.

The article went on to say that pyrethins were safe for people but with widespread use there were some concerns with water quality and resistance in the mosquito population.

What are people thinking?? Where do they think the runoff goes. It not only kills the mosquitos but butterflies, moths, beetles, grubs, ants, spiders, and any other bug in your yard.. Wow look at the pretty DEAD zone.

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:49 am

I'd rather just build a cave in my backyard and breed bats.

They eat something like 3000 mosquitoes per night, and bats are way cuter than mosquitoes.

Jim

Jennicat

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:19 am

They say that pyrethrins are nonharmful to humans?

http://msds.ogden.disa.mil/msds/owa/web ... sdsnr=9803

We used it as an insecticide in our greenhouses at school. It's certainly not safe to have on or in the air around you for an extended period of time, we had to wear respirators for it. It's not as dangerous as many chemicals, but I'd never spray it all over my yard daily though.