How much should I pay the sitter?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:21 pm

If there are two visits, add $5.

See what he thinks about $20 to $25/day.

You also have a long list. I hope he's reliable.

Gessika

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:29 pm

I think $25 a day sounds generous.

That should seem like a LOT of money to a 14 year old.

I get $20 a day to housesit and take care of a 13 year old blind mini weiner dog.

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:29 pm

He's reliable - plus his mom (my friend) will be making sure all is well. They took care of the pets for 4 days back in April and a few other times as well. We in turn take care of their pets. All went well when he has taken care of the pets in the past (his mom checks up on him LOL). My daughter who is 12 takes care of their pets, but I go over there with her and do what she might miss.

Nancy

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:52 pm

I think $25.00 a day sounds fair and maybe bring him a little something from your trip (tshirt etc). I am sure he will be thrilled.

I agree with Lynx, show him how it is all done, maybe he could come over when you are actually doing feeding and/or cleaning time. Good luck.

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:59 pm

Thanks you guys. He's coming over the night before we leave so I can show him how to clean the cages. As far as everything else goes he's done it before so he knows most of the ropes.

So I decided to give him $30 a day now. That will be $240 and I'll just round it up to $250. It will seem like a million dollars to a 14 year old kid, but he's very reliable. I just emailed his mom (my friend) to tell her what I'm paying him.

Thanks so much for all of your help. I'm always worried I'll either not pay enough or too much. And since I want him to take care of my pets in the future I'd better pay him well.

Nancy

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:01 pm

Nancy you are a wonderful Pig, fish and dog Mommy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:02 pm

I hope you have a wonderful trip -- with no worries! You deserve it.

NancyO

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks you guys - you're very sweet and extremely helpful. We don't leave for a couple of weeks yet, but I have to get all the details ironed out you know. I'm such a stress basket for weeks before vacation. Once I'm out of the house I'm fine, but for weeks until vacation all I do is worry. Sometimes I think I'm nuts.

Nancy

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:53 pm

I would love to see pictures of all these lovely animals.

KimH

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:42 am

I would think that a 14 year old will be thrilled with $30 a day. It shows that you are treating him like a professional so he will probably do a very professional job.

I have a pet sitting business and I would probably charge around $18 per visit, but I also have to cover gas expenses, insurance, etc.

You may already plan on doing this, but one thing I always recommend is that you contact your vet and let them know someone is taking care of your pets while you are gone. That way, they have your authorization if any of your pets are sick or injured. They may also want a credit card or a form filled out showing the maximum $ amount you will authorize.

I hope you have a great vacation. While you are gone, your pets will probably be lounging around and getting really spoiled, so try to relax and have fun! :)

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:47 am

You might want to call around to Pet Sitting firms and see what they're charging.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:13 pm

I think she's settled on the amount. Now all you have to do is have fun on your vacation!!