Easy wheatgrass growing (photos), share yours too!

floey

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:00 pm

So far I've grown 3 flats+ of wheat grass using this method, and wanted to share it with those who don't know and may be interested in trying, because it's really easy and simple! And no need to purchase wheatgrass kits and no soil!

And for those who have grown wheat grass before, it'd be great if you could share the way you grow your wheatgrass too! Love to learn any tips!

Well first I rinse then soak my wheatgrass seeds in an air tight container, placed in a dark cupboard for about 12hours.

The green seedling trays in the photos, I got from a $2 shop, and it was only $2 AUD for 4 trays. I soak a piece of newspaper and place on the bottom of the tray. Then I even spread out the seeds over the newspaper.
I cover the tray and place in the warmest area of my house (my room) I spray with water 2-3 times a day to keep it moist, so it's easier to germinate and grow roots etc.

Once little green shoots appear, I can then leave the tray open, and using a spray bottle, I spray once a day. During this time I keep it in an area of the house where there is some sunlight.

After about 7-10days, its a fully grown tray of grass! For piggies that like to tug out the grass, its best to trim off the grass and feed to them seperately rather than eating straight from the tray. I'm not sure, but I doubt it's good for them to eat the seeds and roots!
And it's ready to serve!
After the flat is finish, jsut roll up the newspaper below and throw away!

Does anyone else grow their grass this soiless way too? Or any tips to share?
Florence

whittibo

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:39 pm

WOW, that's a great way to do it! I have the seeds but am too lazy to try it. I didn't know it would grow on newspaper!

That's AMAZING.

Now to find those green flats. :s

mooser

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:47 pm

I've been wanting to do this for some time! If someone in the US figures out something similar to the green flats, please post it!

When I used to make sprouts for my bird, I saw hard red winter wheat berries often at Whole Foods. Is that wheatgrass seed?

whittibo

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:55 pm

I talked to Cutemomomi about this once before. I bought Wheat Berries (seeds) from my whole foods place to add to my homemade bread. From what I gather from Momo, those are the same seeds she grows her wheat grass from.

Sunny

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:36 pm

How does it grow without soil? Seems so odd.

I used to buy the flats and let me pigs go nuts. I never worried about seeds and roots being bad for them. Where did you hear that?

Now I grow wheatgrass in containers on my front porch which is fairly easy but I have to cut the grass to give it to the pig. I'd rather let them graze so I like the big flats.

Amber23

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:52 pm

That is a great idea Floey. Im gonna have to try it!

Tammy

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:12 pm

I get a mixture of seeds (wheat, barley, rye) from the pet supply store for $0.99 a packet. It's a good handful. Then I just scatter then in a sunny patch of dirt in the backyard and water every day. They seem to grow fatter and greener that way.

Some pigs will eat the roots and everything, some are picky and will only eat the green part.

You can also plant w/o dirt in platic cups with a piece of wet scrunched up paper towel and sprinkle the seeds on top.

happyhoppy

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:09 pm

I have wheatgrass in a pot. I had forgotten about this soiless method.

When I was in elementary school in biology class we did an experiment growing seeds. We put soy and another seed in a wet cotton and they grew really well!

I didn't know I could do it with the newspaper.

whittibo

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:19 pm

I suppose it's because the seed is just sprouting, so it doesn't need 'food'? Kind of like a potato that sprouts, doesn't need soil/food to grow, it just grows. :s

floey

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:28 pm

Yep Yep it's really easy! Because I'm really poor at growing any plants, but I've managed to grow wheatgrass, so anyone can!

And you don't really need those green trays, I had grown some on a plate twice too!! Or maybe someone can try a rectangle shape baking tray?!

I'll post some photos later of the plate of grass and the seeds that I have. Though I'm not sure where to get the seeds from, because it was a friend that gave them to me. They're suppose to be really cheap and obtainable from produce stores.

mooser

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:33 pm

I just went out and bought seeds. Cost 84 cents for a lot of wheat berries and rye berries. I was thinking about a baking tray, but wondered if they needed ventilation or something. I've heard they can mold if you don't do it right..

JaneDoe

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:16 pm

That looks like a happy pig, Floey :)