Female GP with bald patches

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:22 pm

I'm not an expert on this, but I would feel comfortable with it. Try doing it with some water. I think you'll get less than you think because of the length of the needle.

LER

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:29 pm

Ivermectin is pretty safe. There is at least one rescue who routinely doses at a much higher level that the GL charts indicate with reportedly no ill effects at all. I personally would feel comfortable with what you guys are discussing. On the other hand, it's only a day and a half to wait, so, really go with what you feel most comfortable with.

Elly

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:45 pm

By puling up an estimated .05 dose I'm pretty consistantly getting between 2 free falling drops to 21/2 (the half drop has to be touched to the skin to get it to fall from the needless syringe. Does this sound like the right amount?

I feel awful putting it off even though none of the GPs seem itchy or uncomfortable.

I may wait until tomorrow though. There is a nurse living across the street and a doctor that normally lives next door but he's not in his home yet because of storm damage. Maybe one of them will be willing to help me but honestly both are fairly self centered and I doubt it.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:07 pm

That seems right. You also need to feel comfortable with it. They will be fine either way. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:27 pm

If you think you can do it, I'd go ahead. There is a margin of error and it is a relatively safe product. It's not like you're going to be giving 20 times the correct dose if you're off. You can get the needled syringe for the next dose.

Elly

Post   » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:35 pm

A couple of mods on C&C have offered to mail me some 1ml syringes. All I have to do is wait a few days and I should have them.

That's good because as of Monday I will be without a car for a while as it's going in Monday to get fixed.

Elly

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:24 pm

I went ahead and treated all the GPs for mites today.

Dilly is showing more hair loss, now it's on her right side, the same side I feel the mass (cyst?) on.

What really made me decide to go ahead and not wait for the smaller needles to arrive though is that she is now showing some redness and irritation on the large bald spot on her back and on another patch near her neck.

I'm confident I got the dose really close and am comfortable with the procedure.

Sorry the picture is fuzzy. Today she wouldn't sit still and seemed a bit uncomfortable to have me messing with her irritated bald area. More reason to make me thing she has mites. She is still going to the vet for a check-up and to see about that mass I'm feeling.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:33 pm

I can say that back when Snowflake was experiencing her hormonal hair loss, I saw her pull some out with her mouth. It was nice and healthy looking skin. I don't know but maybe some pigs with hormonal loss can have some redness.

You are still right to go ahead with the ivermectin. If there are mites, this will make a huge difference.

Elly

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:08 pm

Lynx - I was wondering. If indeed Dilly has a cyst and a spay is called for I'm going to ask to sit in on the operation (I used to work for a vet).

If I get to sit in I may be allowed to take pictures of the operation. Would you want pictures?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:04 pm

If you can get really good, crisp, descriptive pics, that would be great.

I took a few pics of Snowflake when she was having her spay but I ended up feeling awfully funny about it and took fewer than I thought I would and watched instead from a distance. It's hard when it's your pig.

If you do, get good description of the suture material, etc. I still hope to do a few pages on lumps. This could be one of them (the lump part).

Oh, and better pics of a spay would be fine too. I should collect the ones I took. You could probably take much better ones.

One of the good things about surgeries is that they use really good lighting :-)

Elly

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:41 pm

I have a rare (and perhaps morbid) ability to distance myself from the idea that I know and love the animal on the operating table. Years ago I sat in on a couple of my own animal's operations and even neutered my own cat (in the animal clinic with the vet I worked for talking me through it and closely watching the entire time).

It's been a few years so I don't know if I'll be as capable of it as I once was but I'm always the own who remains calm and level headed when an injury happens no matter how bloody or serious.

Elly

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:43 am

Well, tomorrow is Dilly's appointment with the vet. If it wasn't I'd be freaking out totally.

She has had her 2 Ivec treatments but she is no better. I didn't think it was mites anyway, but she is worse.

She has suddenly dropped to 1.14.6 lbs.

I can still palpate a marble sized lump where her right ovary should be, no change in shape, size or density that I can tell.

Her hair loss is much worse. It has spread to her sides which of course seems more indicative of a hormonal problem. But along with the hair loss (which extends to her front legs) she also has a raised discoloration.

On her right side it is more on her side, close to the chest. The right side is much more raised.

The left side is bigger and more on her upper front leg

his is a view of her chest and belly from a slight right angle. You can see the hair loss extending to her chest and belly along with the raised discoloration
Any further ideas are welcome. It is possibly a fungus? or has she just been licking and chewing herself into irritation?