Easy wheatgrass growing (photos), share yours too!

whittibo

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:23 pm

You cover them with the green things, when you grew them on a plate, did you cover them??

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:52 pm

The people at the health foods store told me that you can also grow them on wet paper towels. Thanks for the pictures! They've given me a boost of confidence.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:55 pm

I grow my on paper towels too... well, that is at least until Ben killed them. Murderer!

floey

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:26 am

Mooser- This method does get very little bit of mold on the seed part after your grass has been watered for around 14 days or more. But if your piggies can finish the grass before that time, then it shouldn't be much of a problem! Plus it is only on the seed part, so you can just trim the grass for them.

Whittibo- When I grew them on a plate, in the first stage (before sprouting) I just covered the plate with a lid! The lid or any cover is just to keep the moisture level high and warm, like a green house type effect.
Here's a pic of my plates of grass, its a bit eaten at so looks a bit raggered, but none the less, it shows it can be done!

Two White piggies- I'm glad I can help and good luck with it!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:21 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Floey. I've been thinking of trying to grow wheatgrass for a while, and now I know how to do it :)

honeesmom

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:47 pm

What a fantastic idea. I am sure my girls will love it and maybe the lovebirds too.
Great snack and very inexpensive. Thanks for this idea.

mooser

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:37 pm

Here's my progress so far. I'm trying to grow wheat and rye grass. Both are sprouting, I don't know if we'll get it to look like yours, but a little trial and error isn't all bad.

I wet the paper towel down 3x a day. More if I remember. I forgot to soak the rye, but it's sprouting fine. I did soak the wheat overnight before putting it on the paper towels.

mooser

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:40 pm

Honee'smom, sprouting is great for birds. Sprouts are actually healthiest for birds when the seed is just sprouted, kind of like in my first picture. Wheat probably isn't the best thing to sprout, because many birds have allergies to it. But if you go to Whole foods, get some quinoa, rye, millet and soak it overnight and let it sprout a bit. It's very very healthy. Read more about it online, there's some precautions that need to be taken because the birds will actually eat the sprouted seed, so if there's mold it can be a problem. But birds love them, and it's extremely healthy for them, and not just a treat.

Sorry to go off on a tangent.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:47 pm

Once the seeds sprout, what do you do? How often do you water them and how much? I tried once before with soil and had awful luck, but then I stuck them outside (in a tray). I think I'd rather try soiless, inside, but I have a very ungreen thumb.

mooser

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:52 pm

I'm not quite sure. Once they sprouted, I spread them out on wet paper towels and wet them down 3x a day. Hopefully they will continue to grow. I used to sprout all the time for my bird, so I knew that part was easy. But the actual growing grass part is new to me.

somechick

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:44 am

Where does one buy wheatgrass seeds? At Lowes I found veggie, herb, and flower seeds. The only grass seed I found was HUGE bags of grass - I guess to cover my lawn. I don't think I need a bag that large.

Upinthehills

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:58 am

Health food stores carry whole berry wheat in bulk. You can buy bags in smaller quantities. Make sure it's whole berry. If the bran has been taken off I doubt it would sprout.