Moving to the USA with my guinea pig?

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:07 pm

I cannot imagine a guinea pig surviving a flight from Japan to the US, or any flight, for that matter, in the cargo section. On numerous occasions I've seen people taking small dogs on board, but these were domestic flights. I wish you luck finding an airline that will allow Rodney on board.

AnnetteH

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:16 am

We have made this trip many times. Here is the blow-by-blow of the fastest way from point A to point B.

Leave home, drive 30min. to train, ride train to Osaka 2 1/2 hours, change to another train, ride for 1 hour. Check in at Kansai airport two hours before flight. Fly 9 hours to LA claim, bags and go through customs/immigration. Hand bags off at the exit of immigration and proceed to gate. Wait a couple of hours for next flight. Fly 1 1/2 hours to Denver. Claim bags, drive 45min. to house. From the time we leave one house to then next house is 24 hours. The only time I would have Rodney would be in the cars, on the trains, and the few minutes in customs at LAX.

We always fly United because they have the most direct route to Denver. We are willing to use another airline if they will let us take him in the cabin. I called United twice and they said only cats, dogs, and birds in the cabin. This is mindless discrimination, because if they were at all educated they would know that guinea pigs are much better behaved than any of those animals.

Here is what I found online for the other airlines. I would still like to call them and ask.

American-No carry-on pets to/from Hawaii or Transatlantic/Transpacific or Central and South America.

Korean Air-Only dogs, cats, and household birds may be carried on Korean Air flights. Reptiles (including snakes and lizards) and rodents (such as rats, mice, ferrets, weasels, etc) cannot be carried as a pet for safety reasons.

Japan Airlines-Rules for Carrying Pets in the Cabin this option is limited to well-behaved dogs, cats and small birds (those that eat seeds, fruits, and insects).

ANA-Hello friendly owners of adorable pets! Your pets are important to us. ANA welcomes pets in cabin and as checked baggage. The following tips are provided to ensure a comfortable and safe flight for your pets, Pets are NOT allowed in the cabin on any All Nippon Airways flight, however they may travel as checked baggage or as air cargo.

Continental-Continental allows domesticated cats, dogs, pet rabbits and household birds to be carried in the aircraft cabin on all domestic flights (except to/ from Hawaii). For International in-cabin pet acceptance and service charge information, contact our worldwide reservation office (in the U.S. 1-800-525-0280) for assistance.

Delta-Pets As Carry On
Your pet can travel with you in the cabin for a fee of $75 one-way (to be collected at check-in) when traveling within the United States or Canada. Pets permitted in the cabin include dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, rabbits, hamsters and guinea pigs. Monkeys, pot-bellied pigs, reptiles, frogs, mice, rats, and spiders are not permitted.

No matter how we fly I generally trust the Japanese airport staff to be careful with him. It's the nutty airport workers in LA that I'm terrified of. I've seen what goes on behind the scenes there. My uncle used to work for the airport. Those people don't care at all about little animals.

Thank you all for reading and responding. This is the one thing I am worried about with the whole moving process! My baby is the only thing I really care about.

Here is some video if you would like to see him:
[/url]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3532&hl=en

Annette

Sparkles N Daisy

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:03 am

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3532&hl=en

I cannot believe how cute that video was. As social as Rodney is, you can probably pass him off as a small dog.

I too worry about him being stored as cargo for that long. He seems like such an active pig that is used to being free and I'm not sure how he would do without you there in a carrier. At least if he is on your lap in the carrier he can hear your voice.

AnnetteH

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:14 am

Yes, Rodney loves his people! He knows his name and he comes when he is called. He is also potty trained. I had a little trouble with that link. ;)

ParanoidEv

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:55 am

I can't believe how social that little guy is! He sure acts like a little dog', too cute.
I really wish you the best of luck with moving him!

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:29 am

I cannot believe any airline would allow a bird in the cabin (the noise and mess!), and not a guinea pig. I'm unclear - has Rodney made this trip with you successfully in the past, or was he not with you for these former trips? I have fallen in love with him after seeing that video, and now I will worry about him until I know he has arrived safe and sound! When will you be travelling? You may have to make some phone calls and beg for special permission to take him on board. Geez, they would never even know he's there.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:34 am

Convince them he is a rabbit or very small needy puppy. Is there any way you could get that waiver about having to have him with you? I could fake it if I needed too.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:02 pm

I just wanted to share my experience of traveling with my pig even though it has only been within the US. I am a student and so occasionally go to my parents for 2+ weeks at a time and have found it less stressful on the pig for him to come with me than to board at the vet (I don't know many people in town and so don't have a reputable babysitter).

Both times he has come I have flown Delta airlines. They charge a nonrefundable fee of $50 each way. You must call ahead to make a "reservation" for the pet as only 2 live animals are permitted in the cabin. You may not sit in an exit row. His carrier counts as a carry on and I ensured it would fit beneath the seat in front of me for constant acces. Asle seats work best for this. Underseat dimensions should be available from the airline.

I first place an absorbent baby cloth on the bottom of the carrier, covered this with bedding, and then covered again with flannel (the flannel prevents bedding from spilling out the edges of the carrier, the final result is like a very absorbent pillow). I give him pressed hay cubes and pressed apple chews in the carrier to nibble on and bring a big supply of watery veggies like celery and dandelion although these go in my purse and not in the cage. Throughout the flight I stick small bigs of veggies through the holes in the cage to prevent him from gorging himself and getting an upset stomach. I bring a small water bottle which I store sipper tube up in my purse. I can then stick the sipper through the holes in the carrier to the pig for drinks on occasion. I am also sure to carry a supply of pellets, hay, and emergency medicines with me in my bag should my luggage fail to arrive with me. If it is going to be very cold I bring a blanket to wrap over the cage while going up and down the Jetway. For such a long flight you may want to bring extra towels and plastic bags to make a total change in carrier bedding at least once during the trip.

If I have a layover, I quietly open the carrier in the restroom stall and empty the poopies into the toliet. NOTE that this is actually rather prohibited. Technically the carrier should never open within an airport facility but who's going to check in the stalls? They can't go that long with all that poopie smell. Take care to follow all other regulations with care to prevent any troubles. I would NOT recommend placing the pig in the checked baggage compartment because these are not regualted as well for temperature and pressure. He will be jostled around and generally stressed. It may sound severe but for that long of a flight if they will not let you have him in the cabin with you, I almost suggest seeing if you can find a loving adopter in Japan who you can call and visit and see pictures from of course. I know no one wants to give up their baby but for a 24 hour flight I really fear he would arrive dead.

I only know generalized information about bringing animals into the US but I would go with the prior suggestions about calling all over the place and getting names and ID numbers for everyone you talk to. If you can get something in writing even better! Best of luck with your little pig.

AnnetteH

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:12 pm

Good morning everybody. Let me answer your questions from last night.

Truffielover- Rodney has never traveled except a 4 hour car ride when we when on vacation last spring. I have made the trip about 10 times in my life. I agree about the bird thing. I have a friend who took a parrot in a cage that definitely would not fit under a seat. The crew was going to keep it in the cockpit or something. I will be writing them shortly to find out what happened. It was before 9/11 though.

Mkkayla- I had thought of this especially after receiving this e-mail from a lady named Judi.
"Going through security, yes, you remove the animal from the bag and the bag goes through the belt xray.. you walk through the security doorway holding the guinea pig. I took a rabbit from Washington, DC to New Orleans on Delta this past February.
You can take animals into this country. You can't take guinea pigs to Hawaii, though. After going through what I went through with this rabbit, I would not smuggle any animal. I had a separate ticket for the rabbit that was put on his carrier, and I am unsure if the security people cared about that or not. They didn't say anything. They were too busy trying to decide if the angora rabbit I had was a poodle or a cat. ;-]"

The only thing is that I would have to get the vet to certify that it was a rabbit or a dog ,and if it was a dog that it had had it's rabies shots. He does resemble a Chihuahua don't you think?

Rshevin- We will definitely try to get on an airline that will let us keep him for the domestic flight. I don't trust the airline people in California. There is absolutely no one to leave him with here. The reason we got him in the first place was because his family moved back to America and left him. I never understood why they got him for their daughter in the first place. They knew they were leaving in 1 1/2 and wouldn't be taking him with them. I started researching if we could take him into the U.S. two years ago when we first got him because I knew I couldn't let myself love him if I was going to have to leave him behind. I received the following e-mail that is of some encouragement.
"I moved about 8 years ago from Germany to the USA. I flew with
Lufthansa, and although I was told first that it would be OK to bring the pigs with me in the cabin, in the end it was not allowed. The reason: they are rodents. A small dog or cat would not have been a problem. Lufthansa told me 1 or 2 days before the flight that I could not bring the pigs into the cabin. I was mad. We bought business class tickets to have more space. My pigs (2) had to travel in the animal compartment. They survived it fine. But the airline needs to know about that also, so they can set it up. Usually the space is limited. You will need to provide water and
food for your pet and a stable travel box that allows airflow (but no draft).

WindeSpirit- I came across the "emotional support" animals in the ConsumerReports article. I have never heard of that before. I did an internet search and found the following article. http://isfullofcrap.com/oldcrap/2006/05 ... suppo.html
I apologize for the link. I don’t know how to link a word.
I actually joined the Emotional Support Animals yahoo group the other day to learn more. They have the requirements for the letter you have to present to the airline.
1. Letter must not be more than one year old.
2. Letter must state you are mentally ill, but does *not* have to specify
exactly what mental illness you have, and such information cannot be
required of you by the airline.
3. The letter must be written by a mental health professional and the writer
must identify what type of mental health professional they are, and the
letter must be written on their professional letterhead.
4. The writer must state all of the following: that you are mentally
ill, that the presence of the animal is necessary for your mental
health, and that you are currently under the professional care of
the writer.
I'm afraid it's not going to work for us, unless one of you is a mental health professional and will write me one. :)

We will probably be flying the second week of October; however we will have to get our tickets in the next week or so.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:33 pm

I understand exactly how you feel about not leaving the pig, especially not having anyone to leave him with as I am in the same situation. I both respect and appreciate the love and attention you are giving him. They're sweet little furballs and deserve it. I'll be interested in hearing how everything goes with the airlines and wish you only the best of luck.

I actually HAVE heard about the emotional support animal clause if you can believe it. My regular carrier (Southwest) doesn't allow any animals at all except for seeing eye dogs but they will make exceptions for emotional support animals. I've never tried though as it's easy for me to find other options. It isn't so easy for you. Too bad GL doesn't have any secret shrinks who could write you a letter. It's a humorous, if impractical, idea. I got a smile out of my parents when I mentioned it.

CienDragon

Post   » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:15 pm

I would try calling both Delta and Continental. Contintental doesn't specify their international policy so there might be some room to argue that the guinea pig shouldn't be any more of a problem then the pets they allow on domestic flights. Delta allows guinea pigs on domestic flights so I would at least try to get Delta for the flight from LAX to Denver. I'd also suggest asking them about international flights to the US since the way I read it on their site it only addresses flights from the US and I don't know if it would be different going to the US. I'd probably try arguing with JAL although that one seems less likely...

Is it just me or does ANA's policy contradict itself? First it says they welcome pets in the cabin and as checked baggage and then it says you can't bring them on?

Valerie711

Post   » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:42 am

Cien's idea is right on. Continental did look the most flexible.

After you get someone to agree to it, I would have a vet write on their letterhead that Rodney is healthy, and will not be of danger to any passengers, but must ride in the care of his owner because he is a fragile species.

I'll be on pins and needles til I hear how this works out because he reminds me so much of my Phoebe. She was able to free roam and follow when called.