Liberty's ? trichofolliculoma, surgery?

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:07 pm

Incision look OK. Slightly red and still appears swollen, the way she's sutured, her nipple now sticks out on her side, I'm hoping when the swelling goes down her nipple will get back under her. It doesn't appear hot and there is no drainage, I'm watching it close in case she needs antibiotics.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:16 pm

Poor Liberty, hope she is feeling better.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:17 am

Thanks for the updates. I was wondering about her too.

rachelm

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:24 am

I always take it as a sign that they're on the mend when they start fighting things like CC and whatnot. When Squeak had his follicular tumor removed it took quite a while for the swelling to go down, but he is recovered now. I hope Liberty does too.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:45 pm

Here is a picture of her incision:

In this one you can see her nipple, at least it's hanging down now instead of horizontally out of her side. Hopefully it will continue to migrate back under her body.

Ok well perhaps the nipple is a little hard to see but it is right at the bend of her leg.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:42 am

I see it. What a big incision. That is way bigger than the two lump removals I've had. She'll feel much better once she feels better.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:02 am

She is bouncing around more now and screaming for veggies. I plan on taking the divider down tomorrow and see how she and her cagemates do after a week of separation. Stitches come out Saturday morning. She is still down 100 grams from her pre-surgery weight, but at least she is not losing any more. It would be nice to see her get back up to her normal weight though.

mab0615

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:27 am

Glad she's doing much better. I've noticed it takes some time for them to regain weight that they lose, but they eventually do it. It looks like it was in the same spot as my Rodneys (just a different angle for incision.)

This is his one day post op.

And one week post op.

Let us know how she does when she's back with her friends.

rachelm

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:31 am

Her incision is slightly smaller than when Squeak had his removed. It looks neat though, and screaming for food is a good sign! For reference, here is a picture of Squeak's incision:

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:18 am

Reintroductions failed. I'm on the way to the vet with Liberty who needs new stitches-in her face.

rachelm

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:32 am

Ouch. I'm sorry.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:04 am

We are back. Dang! What a morning. I pulled the divider then fed them morning veggies. All seemed fine for about an hour. Then there was teeth chattering, butt waggling, each pig took a turn at rearing up, but neither would back down. Then the tumbling ball of fur. Liberty is abruvian and her sister, Fudge is peruvian so there was literally hair EVERYWHERE. I used the dustpan to break them up. Each went to their respective corners, thankfully, so reinserting the divider was easy.

It appeared that Fudge was getting the worse of it. But on examination the worse injuries were on Liberty. Two deep puncture/gashes in her chin. Fudge has a small scrape in one nostril. I gave her a good grooming sure there would be more, but I couldn't find any. I'm going to have to be extra alert, though because I may easily have missed a puncture that is bound to abscess later.

Liberty is now on Bactrim, the vet decided it was best not to suture the gashes as they are small at most one or two stitches and in a sensitive area-the sutures may prove more irritating than just treating the wounds as is. So I will be cleaning them twice a day and applying silvadene cream.

I need your help with a plan to get these girls living in harmony again. I was thinking of waiting until Saturday to give Liberty's chin a chance to heal some, then giving them all three a buddy bath. Do you think this will work?