buccal pad separator emergency

Spike789

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:12 am

Oh, boy. I hope she is ok. Poor baby.

PiggiesGalore

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:59 am

Oh Mum how scary for you, I do hope she is ok. It will be interesting to hear Vedra's take on this!

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:40 am

Oh Mum, I am so sorry. I hope everything turns out ok.

Maybe you can get Vedra to pay the vet bills?

DOn't beat yourself up over this. This isn't something you would have done intentionally.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:15 am

Wow, how scary! I never would have thought the ends would get caught in the flesh itself.

Please note on the buccal pad separator page that the cool directions Mike gave for making one of your own include dipping it in a rubber like material to make it softer for the inside of the mouth. This also seals the ends so nothing could get caught.

I am so sorry for you and your guinea pig, Mum. It does sound like this was absolutely an emergency.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:25 am

Oh, that sounds horrible! Thank goodness you had a good vet. I hope everything heals up without further incident.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:59 am

Sorry, I was typing the first part last night with the pig on my lap, so words were short!

The worst part is that this is a pig I offered to look after while she was sick.

I didn't even order the separators directly from Vedra - Webs got them for me, so I'm pretty sure there's no recourse at all.

I'd really like to hear from anybody else who's actually used them. I wonder whether mine were faulty, or whether it was this pig's anatomy. I'm very concerned that someone else may use them and have the same problem.

Pig's looking pretty bad this morning - I'm going to h/f, subcue, and medicate. She was supposed to be going back home last night, but obviously I'll need to keep her longer.

caregiver

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:56 am

Mum, I am so sorry to hear about this. How awful and frightening for both you and the gp.

I have no experience using these pads, but I did pass this information on to a vet once with other material who became very angry and said they were dangerous. I had no intent on using them and am also aware that some vets can be prejudiced as it is a potential business loss for them.... In fact this vet's method of teeth trimming was far from conservative either.... so in truth, I made no judgement about it.

I have no doubt this pig is in the best hands possible with you and I am hoping she will have a uncomplicated recovery.
Last edited by caregiver on Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:59 am

I think you said you'd post pics of the parts. I can compare them to what I have. Possible that during the removal the wire was bent so may not actually be how it was when you first inserted them into the mouth.

I would like more feedback from people too. I take it you've used the buccal pad separators before? Depending on what I find out, I may remove them from the site and just leave up the ones that Mike gave directions for.

At the very least, I ought to put a warning on the separator page.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:05 pm

I cannot visualize this at all. There are barbs or sharp pieces that pierced like barbs would? I so hope she recovers. I'm sure her mouth is pretty sore.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:10 pm

The ends are wire that is curled upon itself. The end of the wire lies within the curl/ring. It must be the end that pierced the flesh inside the mouth, got caught in a flap of skin.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:42 pm

I'll take pics of the parts a little later.

Actually, when I think back, the vet thought they might have pierced the skin, but she couldn't really tell, since she had to remove them by cutting up outside the mouth. They were totally trapped in the buccal pads. She said it was just like removing a fish hook - except there were three, not one.

No, I haven't used them before. I read the instructions very carefully, but even so there's no way this should have happened. They literally got trapped the minute they went into the buccal pads. And when I inserted the other separator, just one side, to try and ease the trapped ones out, it was immediately sucked into the same spot. So the poor pig had a whole separator stuck in both sides of her mouth, and one side of one in another side (two in one side, one in the other).

From what I can see, they're not bent at all - just cut into pieces, which had to be done to get them out (there goes $115!).

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:46 pm

I'm sorry you had to experience this. How's the pig?