buccal pad separator emergency

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:59 pm

Very distressing. I understand how upset you are. I'm sorry they had to be cut out. If you have any unanswered questions, maybe you can call the vet who removed them and ask precisely what he thinks happened.

rachelm

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:41 pm

Oh my god mum, I'm so sorry. You must have been so distressed! I can't believe this has happened after all the trouble you went to get the damned things.

It will be interesting to see when you post the pics. I hope she makes a full recovery.

rosemary smyth

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:11 pm

Something similar happened to me. I put the first separators in okay but when I put the second set in , Midnight's front leg escaped from the towel wrapped round her. She swiped at her mouth , caught the separator and the curly bit went into the side of her mouth like a hook in a fish. She was squealing but I managed to twist it round and pull it out. The dental equipment was put away never to be used again. I felt really awful but thankfully she was okay.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:49 pm

Interesting.

I'm convinced that this problem can't be that uncommon. There's not really any way to screw this up, according to the instructions. I'm thinking it's equipment failure.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:07 pm

I looked at mine. The metal tip seems to angle in one direction - slightly inward on one side and outward on the other.

klynne

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:52 pm

"I didn't even order the separators directly from Vedra - Webs got them for me, so I'm pretty sure there's no recourse at all. "

Regardless of where or from whom you purchased a product, the manufacturer is ultimately the one responsible if it's determined to be unsafe or defective.

Having tried to deal with Vedra myself, though, you may have great difficulties communicating with her. I do think the incident needs to be reported at the least.

I hope like heck the pig recovers okay, what a stressful time that had to have been!

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:51 pm

I was thinking the same thing, Klynne.

I hope you can get some resolutution to this.

How is your piggy doing?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:34 pm

She's hanging in there. Her poop is tiny and dried up, in spite of handfeeding and subcue. Obviously I'm not getting enough Critical Care into her. But I just put some corn silk in, and she's at least nibbling that.

The problem I'm having now is not knowing how much of her condition is due to the cut mouth, and how much is due to the pneumonia, or some other unknown disease.

Once I get the photos off my camera, at least I'll email Vedra. Given our past communication, I would think it's highly unlikely she'll respond at all, but all I can do is try.

Given rosemary smyth's experience, I'm thinking it's either a design flaw, or a quality control issue. Either way, I know I did nothing out of the ordinary; and if it happened to me then think of the other disasters that could happen to people who may not have emergency vets available to them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:07 pm

Ideally the wire tip would be soldered onto the wire so there was no end at all that could impale the skin.

I really feel badly about this. That poor pig. You must have been distraught.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:19 pm

The buccal pad separators that Lynx so kindy lent me for Jackson were the same design, I believe.

I joined to the two parts to make them one before inserting them. They are designed to be incoporated into each other. My vet used them successfully.

The wire circle does have a gap where the metal end doesn't quite join the rest of the piece. It would act like a large fish hook. Is that the part that got stuck in her mouth?

Poor girl. I hope that she rallys.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:02 am

The wire circle does have a gap where the metal end doesn't quite join the rest of the piece. It would act like a large fish hook. Is that the part that got stuck in her mouth?
Yes, both ends got sucked into, or impaled in, her mouth. I could feel both ends from the outside way down on either side of her mouth, but they were very firmly lodged.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:36 am

Crap! Sorry this happened, Mum. I'm glad I never ordered them from her. Does she have a phone number where she can be reached? It sounds like she needs to change the design on those darn things so that the loops are closed. Sheesh.