Shiloe's Medical Thread. Please help!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:42 pm

I am so worried. My girls so far (knock on wood) have been healty and happy. Today while feeding them all I saw something wrong with Shiloes left eye. I did not notice it yesterday but it could have been there and I missed it as I had on different lighting in the room.

Here is a picture. My sweet Shiloe. Is she going Blind? Is it an injury?

Image This is the bad eye. It doesnt look like anything is in there, just they eye changing color. It has a light grey or blueish tint on the left Eye.

Image This is her right eye.

Now here is a closer look at her eye. I hope she will be ok.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:46 pm

How old is she? A vet would probably be able to tell you for sure. It looks like a cataract developing. Not like the hay pokes/injuries I've seen - no cloudiness.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:48 pm

Shiloe is 1.5 yrs old. Oh how awful. What causes that and can it be fixed?

She does like to hide inside the hay bin so I cant find her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:48 pm

The eye looks healthy but with an area of cloudiness. It doesn't quite look like a cataract (if it were, you could read about diabetes, a likely cause). To tell you the truth, I have no idea what might be wrong with her eye. Does it look at all inflamed? Like there might be an injury of any kind? From here, it doesn't seem so.

You can check the eye page. A vet might be able to provide some info for you. Some eye conditions one can't really do anything about.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:50 pm

My Oreo has developed these, as did Streak. My vet said they are cataracts. If this is a sudden thing, though, or if it gets worse quickly (sudden can be relative, as in it was developing and all of a sudden it was obvious enough to be noticed... this happens to me a lot!) it may be an infection.

But it doesn't look like an injury to me; it appears to be too deep. Injuries turn the surface of the eye white, but it is very obviously on the surface. This looks like the surface is clear, but there is cloudiness deeper in. If this isn't true, then to the vet you go!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:51 pm

No it doesn't look inflamed and she doesnt act like it hurts her. No excessive eye watering either. I don't see any injury but then I am not sure what to look for.

Do you think I should get her to a vet as soon as possible?

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:52 pm

Lynx, I think it is the surface roundess of the eye throwing off perspective. It looks like the cloudiness is ofset, but it really isn't. When I took pictures of Oreo or Streak, the same thing happened, but if you were holding them you could see that what it was was a cloudy lens under a perfectly clear surface dome, so when you looked at it from any angle but straight-on, it looked offset.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:52 pm

Is she related to any of your other pigs? It may be genetics if it is a cataract. You may want to search the forums.

Does she startle easily or is she acting differently?

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:53 pm

dgarriques, it is up to you. Me, personally, I would watch it for a few days, maybe even take day-to-day pictures. If it is getting rapidly worse, then yes. If you wake up in the morning and it is all white, take her in definitely, but otherwise I would wait for either a wellness checkup or regular office hours.

But, it would depend on if it looks like what I have dealt with before, or was something new. Your comfort level, and so on. If you are really worried, take her in. Better to be safe than sorry.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:54 pm

No she doesn't act any different at all. Yes she is related to Somer (the Mom) and Savannah (Sister).

I didn't notice anything wrong with their eyes.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:56 pm

Nurgle I will do as you mentioned. I will watch it closely and if it changes I will get her right in to vet.

IF it were an eye poke (say from hay etc) would it clear up on it's own?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:58 pm

Nina got some cloudiness in her eye that I figured was cataracts. What I remember though is that it did not have defined margins. I think it's the defined margins that kind of confuse me.