Beautiful girl dropped, I'm crying...

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:57 pm

I just dropped Izabo. I feel just sick to my stomach. Izabo is a beautiful peruvian sow (approx 3 years old) that I pulled from a shelter several weeks ago for LV. I've asked LV if I could adopt her so technically, she is mine (though I haven't signed the papers yet).

She is shy and sweet...except when you go to put her back into her cage. Then she squirms and kicks like crazy. That's what I was doing when she bolted out of my hands and fell.

She is holding up her rear foot. I've made an appointment to take her in at 6:00. I just feel so horrible. Like I shouldn't have pigs. What should I expect at the vet? How is an X-ray done?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:02 pm

Hang on there. Is there an obvious break? If not, if no bone is breaking the skin, it may be an injury that can heal on its own. These things happen. If it consoles you any, I dropped Snowflake a long time ago (made the dumb mistake of carrying two pigs back to their house from the bathroom runaround time in the soda cardboard thing they were running in and out of -- she fell out the bottom).

Give her some quiet time, make sure she's eating, restrict her movements. If there is swelling, steriods can help bring it down.

Pooka and Pixie

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:10 pm

Oh no! I hope she hasn't seriously injured her leg!

Don't blame yourself! It could happen to anybody.

Sparkles N Daisy

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:19 pm

I have dropped one of my pigs too. :( Unfortunately, accidents happen.

The new cage I built is about 1.5 to 2 feet off the floor. I heard a crash in the middle of the night (thankfully I hadn't fallen asleep yet) and I ran in to find Penelope had crashed through the grid and landed on the floor. She is blind and she was running around like crazy on the floor. I felt SO bad.

Keep us posted on what the vet says.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:31 pm

I just feel so horrible. Like I shouldn't have pigs.
Don't even go there! If this is true, then based on what I did to Millie, I should entirely close my rescue :-p

Let us know what happens - with any luck she'll be just fine in a short time.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:36 pm

Oh, cut that out! Now, WICharlie, things like that do happen. And you Mum, are so kind for what you do. Millie maybe just wanted to be pierced, like a punk rocker, or Whittibo. Look at what I did to my girls.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:42 pm

Millie maybe just wanted to be pierced, like a punk rocker, or Whittibo
Brilliant idea - now where are my little studs :-p (hey, at least they'd keep the holes open for flushing.

And, SP, you didn't DO anything to your pigs at all *hugs*

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:49 pm

I know. It just makes me feel so bad. The boys and I were holding them and they saw the whole thing. Number Two Son was holding Pig Fun Skipper on his lap, and he said right away, "I think you should take her." I don't want them to be afraid to hold the pigs (heck, I don't want to be afraid to hold them!). She just became a twisting frenzy and exploded out of my hands.

This is not the way I wanted to introduce my very own first pigs.

I looked at her foot and don't see anything amiss. I'm afraid to manipulate it, in case it is broken. This time, when I put her back into the cage, I put her in a hat (she went in head first) and I was able to put her in without a struggle. I think we'll be using the hat from now on.

Sparkles N Daisy

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:55 pm

Is she still favoring her foot?

Once my girls see the cage (as I go to put them away) that is when they start getting squirmy.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:12 pm

Yes, these things happen. Wooly was once sitting on my husband's lap in a chair when a noise scared her and she dove out of his lap onto the floor. The stinker ran into the hallway and was fine but so many bad things could have happened. We knew to sit on the floor with her from that point on. I'm sure your pig will be just fine.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:39 pm

They can jump out of hats too. Please look at this closely. You can hold a pig so there is no chance it can jump -- you just need to know the tricks:

www.guinealynx.info/handling.html

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:56 pm

Even then, they can find a way to escape. Flightly and squirmy little piggies. She may have just sprained it. Just weigh her and make sure she eats ok on top of an x-rary.