Beautiful girl dropped, I'm crying...

Pooka and Pixie

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:53 pm

I use a cat carrier to transport my piggies in and out of their cage. The door is bolted, so no chance of jumping out and possible injuries!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:55 pm

"She just became a twisting frenzy and exploded out of my hands."

This happened to my husband as well.

If Izabo is walking around normally, her back is likely not injured. That to me is the biggest worry. An x-ray will show whether she's sustained a break, or some soft tissue damage.

Our Toby (a/k/a Fearless Fuzzball) had soft tissue damage only. It took a long time to heal up (close to 3 weeks), during which time he did his level best to make my husband feel bad.

Breaks heal and so do soft tissue injuries. Don't be down on yourself. If you have some Metacam it will make her feel a little better. Do let us know what the vet says.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:36 pm

They have such strength when they decide to go bonkers that you can't punish youself. I bet we have all had scary moments with the monster kids. I had Wilbur outside on his leash and he was on my chest and someone set off a firecracker and he bunji jumped. I was sure he was going to die. Each pig has jumped from my hands and gone headfirst onto the litter when I was putting them back. The best one was Rodney when he was a baby. We had him on the couch and he broke free ran over my shoulder and did a half gainer to the floor. Again I was sure he was going to die. It can happen to anyone. Hope all goes well.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:05 pm

Broken femur. When I left the vet's with her this evening, I felt about as low as low can go. In fact, I walked into the house and burst into tears when I saw my husband.

But...I called LV and I'm feeling a bit better (bless her). She assured me that the bone will probably heal if I keep Izabo quiet (the vet told me she might have to be euthanized if it didn't knit together in the ten days!). LV said she had dealt with pigs with broken bones and they do heal. Might have a limp, but they heal.

I'd take my beautiful girl with a limp anyday.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:15 pm

Oh no - I'm so sorry. But at least you took her right away - with any luck she'll heal right up.

LER

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:53 pm

I'm so sorry - what a shock! Please do not blame yourself. Just do your best to care for her.

I imagine she needs a very restricted area, and metacam to help with pain. Hang in there and do keep us updated. No chance or splinting or casting? What about amputation?

One of my co-workers rabbits broke her hind leg and they ended up having her leg amputated. It was a tough recover because she went into stasis but the site healed up fine and she is doing well.

Pooka and Pixie

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:54 pm

I'm so sorry that your pig is hurt! I'm sure she'll heal quickly, under your care and with everyone's help and support on this board.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:06 pm

Definitely cage restriction. I'm curious as to why it wasn't splinted?

Did they send home some meloxicam for pain control?

She would definitely be an amputation candidate before euthanasia!

Sparkles N Daisy

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:12 pm

Could you keep Izabo in a smaller C&C until she heals? Just baby her with treats and such. That is good that you got her to the vet so soon.

I'm suprised the vet mentioned euthenasia. At the worst, I would think amputation (God forbid). Certainly there are many a happy tripod.

I know it is an emotional experience, but try to stay positive.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:14 pm

My vet would have splinted and/or done surgery to correct it. Are there any other vets?

PauloF

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:17 pm

Any X-rays taken? I do agree with Josephine, it should have been splinted.

Euthanasia should be a last resource only, amputee pigs are known to have quite good lives.

I hope she recovers fine, though, with no further complications or medical treatment. Keep her confined in a smaller cage so she doesn't have to move around too much. There is a good chance for she'll heal fine, and have a great life.

It was an unfortunate accident, don't beat yourself for it.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:21 pm

Hopefully, this story will help. Nutmeg broke his hip badly, right near the socket when he was 6 months old. Our vet who is pretty cavy savvy told me that their bones usually do knit back fast; we were given the option of surgery but her professional opinion was that the outcome wouldn't be much different and it would cause Nutmeg stress and pain. We opted to just keep him quiet. I sectioned off the C&C he shares with Panda so he had a 2 X 2, gave him his pigloo and didn't try to pick him up for about 2 weeks. At that point, he started moving around a lot more. I don't think I removed the separators for another 2-3 weeks, but within several months, Nutmeg started running around. He'll never be quite as agile as he once was. He still popcorns but not as often and he runs, but not as long. But he's alive and happy.

I hope that Izabo ends up the same way.