Beautiful girl dropped, I'm crying...

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:42 pm

Or you could have your husband hold her, with her legs dangling, and put a hand to support her lower spine. Then you could feed her. It sounds complicated, but if you have to feed her then you'll have to find a way to make it work - although it may involve two people.

I always thought Metacam helped as well. As I understand it, animals in pain won't eat, and Metacam helps them to feel better and therefore to eat.

I'm thinking if people are saying the animals didn't eat because of the metacam, that maybe the problem was not the metacam but the initial problem that required the metacam (if that makes sense).

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:24 pm

Okay, I just weighed her (using "the hat") and she has gained an ounce back. I gave her a baby carrot afterwards and it was inhaled. Phew. I think we're good.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:24 pm

Yes, a second person would be nice. Try to make her feel comfortable and secure.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:26 pm

"... sitting on her rump with wee little knitting needs and some yarn knitting herself a nice cozy cuddle or something."

That's how it sounded to me as I typed it too, but I couldn't think of a better way to put it! :-P

WICharlie, do you have any Critical Care? You could try to mix some up, perhaps to a slightly runnier-than-normal consistency, and just offer it to her. See if she will take it voluntarily, without being picked up or moved. If she likes it and will take it that way, it would supplement her and hopefully help her to regain without a lot of handling and traumatizing.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:48 pm

When I hand feed, I like to hold them just like Lynx described. Then with that hand from the "holding arm" I grab their upper jaw on both sides of their head with my thumb and pointer finger from above. This way their head is still and I can use my other free hand to stick the syringe of food in their mouth. Hard to explain while typing but I hope you can get a visual.

Sorry you are going through this. Good luck.

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:00 pm

I don't have any critical care but know how to make a mash from pellets. I'll keep all this in mind, but look up to my last post. She regained an ounce so I think we might be okay.

LV has sent me correct dosaging of metacam per weight of pig, so no more guesswork in putting drops in her mouth. Tonight I was able to measured it out with a syringe and give her the exact dosage she needs (and will continue to do so).

You are all so great!

NancyO

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:46 pm

WICharlie, my son broke his collar bone a few years back (I know not a guinea pig, but. . .). The bone was broken in half and separated. I swear there was half and inch between the two bones. When I asked the doctor how they deal with this - he said they do nothing. I gave him the hairy eyeball look of course. The doctor said that bones do find their way back to each other and mend. It did - then the stinker broke the collar bone again 3 years later.

Anyway, my point is I bet your piggy's bones will find each other and heal quickly. They will mend.

Take care,
Nancy

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:25 pm

Izabo is doing pretty good. Tomorrow is the ninth day after the break and she goes to the vet to see if it is mending okay.

IF it is mending, I'm wondering what I do next. Right now, she is in a petstore cage bottom (with grids) so she has very little room to move. Her hair was chopped up and smelly when I got her and I was going to give her a bath after her ivermectin treatments were done (they are). Now she is even more ratty and smelly after sitting for this many days.

Should I give her a bigger cage so she can start using the leg a bit again? I think I've seen her using it a little already. Should I go ahead and put her back in with her pal, Pig Fun Skipper? I had just put them together and they had gotten along really well right before the accident. Skipper is definitely missing her...the poor thing screams her head off all day long (although I suspect she's begging mostly for veggies).

And when would it be safe to give her a bath? Poor stinky girl.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:39 pm

The vet will know better, but I think it's too soon. Nutmeg was isolated for 3 weeks, before we put him back in with his buddy. Even then, we kept him separated for part of the day so he wouldn't try to do too much too soon.

klynne

Post   » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:27 pm

Ah, you're suffering the same impatience I've felt waiting to get out of my own cast!

I agree with Amy, it seems too soon.

A dirty lonely pig is better than one who reinjures a fracture. I'd keep her confined at least a couple more weeks, depending on what the vet says.

I'm glad she's hanging in there.

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:12 pm

Just an update: Izabo saw the vet this morning and he said the leg was mending. He wants me to keep her restricted for another week and to give her the metacam for another week as well. I have an appointment in two weeks for her to be checked again.

Yes, yes....slow and easy. I can do that. I have noticed that she does not eat pellets, only hay and veggies. She is keeping her weight up so I will not worry about that. I know there are people here who only feed hay and veggies. It surprises me though, because I doubt she was getting hay at the shelter.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:09 pm

Hay is good. Looking forward to a healed piggy!