theory on chirping

10ginee_pigz_rok23

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:22 pm

pinta, Seems like your pigs just want to sing...lol! Maybe they have fun annoying you...or they could be mesmerized like you said..;)

*!Ginee Pigz' Rok!*
*!Guinea Pigs' Rock!*

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:58 pm

Wooly, our pet store pig chirped the first or second night we brought her home. It was early in the morning like 3 am and it woke me up. She never did it again. I think she missed her cagemate and was probably scared in her new environment.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:10 pm

hmmmm. we'll see then. Job is in his new home now. maybe he will chirp tonight.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:19 am

I agree with Pinta. Exact same here. she just likes the nifty sounds she can make and thinks we ought to listen!

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:51 am

We also have a chirping cockateil. About 5 of my pigs chirp along with him when he gets going. I wish they could figure out the tune to 'Pop goes the Weasel". It would be easier on the ears. It can get loud and annoying.

Like Pinta, ours are not panicked at all. I can usually get them to shut up my throwing extra treats at them. Nothing works for the crazy bird.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:45 pm

Job did not chirp last night. He was moved into my new house and is not not adjacent to any other pigs (he was attacking them through the bars). The only time he chirped was when new pigs were moved next to him.

gpperson
Carpe Cavies

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:59 pm

My Patch chirped for about 5 minutes (first time ever) around 4am. Sounded just like a bird. I went over to the cage and she only stopped long enough to move away. The other two stood quietly listening.

squeaker13

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:47 am

I love re-activating older threads....

I caught my 2 year old boar, Butters, chirping last night. He's the guy in my avatar. My husband thought he'd been hearing chirping lately, but he could never tell who it was. husband's been away for the last week and last night his buddy just was chirping away.

I tend to agree that early morning seems to be a popular time. It was about 4 am and I had just turned off all the lights and gotten to bed. I creeped into their room and flipped the light on and there he was sitting up on his food bowl chirping...LOUDLY! All the other pigs just sat there still while he was at it. When he quit he acted scared or excited and ran around like he was running from a bird trying to eat him. He went and hid in his house, and that was the end of it.

What in the world are they telling each other?

InkysMom

Post   » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:28 pm

TOO wierd, you guys. I thought my Inky was a vocal boy; he had the biggest range of sounds of any pig I've ever had, but I never heard that out of him. How interesting! (Glad I have something to look forward to with another pig).

squeaker13

Post   » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:31 am

Ok, and now here's an update.

About a week after Butters did his chirping, my alpha female in the same group started chirping. Hers sounded different, but still it was chirping and I crept into the room to check on her. I got all the way to the cage, about 2 feet from her and she just kept going. It was like she was in a trance. I waited for a break in the chirping and then picked her up and cuddled her for a few minutes and put her back. I stood there for a minute while she started right back up again!! I picked her back up and just layed down with her on the couch and she stopped chirping. She nipped me to say she had to pee and I put her back and that was the end of it. What the heck is going on at my house?!?!?!!

Hybris

Post   » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:03 am

We have two female pigs, and one of them (at least I've only ever seen one of them do it) chirp occasionally. It's been several months since the last time, but suddenly these last few weeks one of them has been at it at least once a day, sometimes more often. It seems that it's often connected with night time when we turn the lights off, and sometimes just a little while after they've been fed. Kinda like "is this all we get?"..

As the days grow very short during winter I start wondering if they react to the changes in light/darkness cycles, but I dunno. I also remember that earlier she sometimes chirped slowly even though I picked her up, and had to be petted a while before stopping. But these last times she has always stopped immediately when she detects me in the room like she doesn't want me to know what's going on.

The only sure pattern here seems to be that it's more often during night time and darkness than during the day.

My gut feeling is like some others here mention that it's got something to do with loneliness, but it's hard to know for sure. We got both guinea pigs in the same cage, so they shouldn't be lonely, but could it be that they are in some mating season thing, and are chirping for a boy? :) Strange animals :)

cavyhaven13

Post   » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:12 am

Oh my gosh, I can't beleive this thread came up this morning. Squeaker13 was my old log-in name and we had Butters chirping last night. Too weird.