Sully's a little under the weather, or, I'm a hypochondriac.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:15 pm

I'm home with Sully. He's doing well. Because his bladder was so gigantic (more than twice the size of a normal bladder), the vet only had to do a tiny incision to find it, so he should have a relatively easy recovery. She said she found lots of big sludgy clots, and she cleaned all of them out. We can't believe he passed it. I took a picture of it, and it's as wide as the year printed on a penny. I'll try to upload it this afternoon.

I need to get the cage situated and then go pick up his TMS.

Sparkles N Daisy

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:16 pm

Holy cow. He passed a stone that large?? Wow. Let's hope Gilbert passed his as well so that the Metacam & Shilington can be used to prevent multiple surgeries. That would be great.

Gilbert, Sully (and Henry for support), and the care you provide I'm sure will help a lot of other little piggies out there.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:46 pm

I'm surprised too. Usually males have a really tough time because their urethras are narrower and it is much less likely for them to pass a stone. Swannie's sow passed a stone too.

I am guessing that the pain medication helped also relax things to aid in passing the stone.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:57 pm

It's a claim that use of Shilintong relaxes the urethra.

Have you told your vets you are using the Shilintong?

If this stuff really has an affect on stones then they need to do some official studies!

luvmypigs2

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:30 pm

Woo hoo! I'm so glad he's ok and feeling good. I was scared to click on this thread.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:10 pm

When I handed the stone to the vet, she looked at it and shook her head. It shouldn't have been possible.

This morning around 5:30 a.m., Jim gave Sully .9 mL of metacam and shilintong.

Sparkles N Daisy

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:37 pm

It shouldn't have been possible.

Well you and Jim have done everything possible to facilitate the best results. Not to mention, miracles do happen. ;)

Fossil Barb

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:03 pm

Now the big sigh of relief and a deep breath. So glad your little men are past this one hopefully. Will wait to hear how recovery goes. I know the Shilintong really helped Rod and if he hadn't developed jaw issues he might have been fine. He quit squeaking after a time on S. and we also added the Calcium citrate and of course Metacam. Hope you both are recovering as well. Sleep deprivation, the stress of worry and taking care of them takes its toll!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:03 pm

Sleep deprivation, the stress of worry and taking care of them takes its toll!

Tell me about it. I've been too jittery to sleep. Gilbert and Henry paced the cage until I brought Sully home. Gilbert, Henry and Sully exchanged some chuts and burbles, and then they all went off to nap.

Maybe I should get myself a cuddle cup.

PiggiesGalore

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:12 pm

Cuddle cup sounds good to me! The nights I spent up with Roxy recently I sure could have done with one too!

So glad to hear your little guy got through the surgery ok, I have to admit it brought tears to my eyes just thinking about passing a stone that size. Hope he remains comfortable and things improve over the next few days.

Best wishes.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Oh, my. I am so glad he passed that stone. Poor boy!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:42 pm

Okay, here are the pictures. Forgive the fact that we don't have the ability to zoom in with the digital camera: