Guinea Pigs changed my life.

Tammy

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:08 pm

Finally! Another pig who likes his bellyrubs :o) I got a couple of those at home too!

Xanlexian

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:34 pm

Oh yeah, speaking of the vacuum cleaner -- when I wheel that thing into the room -- EVERYBODY (except Cletus) starts wheeking like mad. I think they've now associated the vacuum cleaner to mean that immediately afterwards comes Veggie Time!!!

I was out of town last week and Leslie called me to say, "hey, I just vacuum'd the cages and EVERYBODY is going nuts!!!" I told her, "yup. they know Veggie Time!!! is coming! It's a psychological thing!"

The belly rubs are great. Tigger is such a cool pig. Rebecca -- another rescue that came in (she came in with Tommy -- rescue number 3 and 4) ended up staying with us. She wasn't meant to, but she just grew on us! She's large, she's fat, she waddles, and she's just a self-righteous bitch. We love her and we had to keep her. Not to mention, her eyeballs are friggin' HUGE!!! I joke around with her telling her that her eyeballs make up most of her body weight.

Currently in the rescue room we've got Tommy (the wuss), Mr. EEEeeeee!!!, Calvin and Hobbes (my huge mutant gerbils), and Pebbles (Steak) and Veronica (Potatos) -- both, my "dark-eyed babes".

I always talk about the pigs to people -- and I ALWAYS get the same reaction, "Guinea pigs?!? You RESCUE guinea pigs??! Why? They're just guinea pigs!"

Yeah, be that as it may, but I'm sure YOU'D do the same for a cat, dog, maybe a horse, or a child, no? I try to tell people how the majority of our guys are 'potty trained', they CAN be trained in general (hence the mimicing whistles I get), they KNOW their names, and the show affection for affection received.

Never would I have thought a guinea pig would become a pet that I ever owned -- much less a valued member of my family.

--Xan

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:59 pm

It's amazing that there are people out there, that don't think of their pets as members of their family. Idiots anyway.

All your g.ps are adorable. They looked so funny all wet! Can't imagine people not wanting to kiss their little faces!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:34 pm

Great story. Nice to have it all in one place. Love your pics of Tigger -- he is such a great pig.

Xanlexian

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:42 pm

Tigger just rocks. He's my number 1 guy! My 'Nutless Wonder' -- he's got so many names...

Tigger
Sir Tiggs-a-Lot
Tiggster
Tigmeister
Lord Balthazar
Tig-tig-tigger

and when he popcorns (which in and of itself is hilarious to watch!) -- he is "Tigging all over the place!"

I address them all as "My Minions" -- when I leave the house, I put Tigger in charge (that's when he becomes 'Lord Balthazar') and he is to rule in my absence.

Of course, being neutered, he's in with the females -- and they are "Tigger's Harem".

But it seems that everbody has been wanting a piece of Blaze lately. Poor Blaze.

--Xan

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:51 pm

Do they just start being aggressive towards one another without any 'human' reason? And does it stop just as suddenly?

Xanlexian

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:01 pm

Yeah, sometimes.

Stitch will decide she's horny and try to hump Blaze (it always seems to be Blaze that gets humped... guess it is because she's sooooo sexy) and Blaze will run off, and occasionally snap at Stitch.

Tigger will try to mount Rebecca, and Eyeballs (Rebecca) will get pissed and go after Tigger. But it is all over just as fast as it started.

But as far as an out-of-the-blue totally random fight (more like 'spat') or aggressiveness? Not really.

Funny thing I saw last night as I was heading to bed -- Blaze was in the haybox, Tigger standing in line, with Rebecca right behind him, and Lilo behind Rebecca. Just waiting their turn patiently for the haybox (it's big enough for all of them. go figure)

--Xan

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:02 pm

You rescue website is great. Very attractive, clean and uncomplicated. Tigger is adorable. What a cutie!

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:06 pm

So they are just asserting their dominance. I am lucky that none of mine do that-yeah, I'll say that, then wham, it'll turn into a hump fest.

Xanlexian

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:13 pm

We've got "HumpFest 2003" -- but it seems to be a hump festival that happens about once or twice a month.

gotta hump 'em all!

--Xan

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:20 pm

That is too funny!! It sure would be at your house with all of your g.ps!

Xanlexian

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:35 pm

RedBlur:

Paravati pretty much designed the website (she *IS* a designer/graphic artist, after all!) I just worked up that little flash menu thing on the front page (as well as the counter)

So, credit goes to Paravati on the neatness of the pages!

--Xan