Male with bladder stone--need a good vet

luvmypigs2

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm

That's great! Sending thoughts and prayers for an uneventful recovery.

TWP_2

Post   » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:40 pm

I hope you mean 4CC of Critical Care and not Metacam!

Glad to hear he made it through surgery safely. I know very well how agonizing that wait can be! All crossables are crossed in the hope that he has, as LMP2 said, an uneventful recovery.

Vaseline on the incision site does a pretty decent job keeping the itch factor down and providing some extra protection. Keep on top of the Metacam and any other painkiller drugs, and definitely stay on the full course of antibiotics.

Jim

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:12 am

Oh crap. Yes I did mean 4 CCs of Critical Care! Sorry if I gave you or anyone else a heart attack! Too late for me to edit it.

We just gave him more Critical Care and his Bactrim, and noticed one of his first poops of the night, which is a relief. When we had Momiji spayed for cysts, it took a while for her to poop, and it was really scary.

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:58 am

We might ask Lynx to go in and edit that, since it is at least remotely possible that someone might search for Metacam and think that was an OK dose.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:24 pm

Lynx, if you see this could you please edit my screwed up post a couple posts up? I meant 4 CCs Critical Care and not Metacam!

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:58 pm

How is Peppi feeling?

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:11 pm

Gilbert wheeks loudly and sends his support and sympathy.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:57 am

Thanks for the edit, Lynx.

Peppi is doing well today. His incisions look good. He has lost some weight since this all started, but it has not decreased any since yesterday, so with time I expect it to go up. We're still giving him Critical Care a few times daily, and he's been eating some hay and pellets, and all his veggies. Other than sleeping a little more than usual, he's pretty much back to his old self, chewing on the bed he has in there, and head butting us when we're trying to hand feed him. Tonight he almost even stood on the bars when we were bringing veggies over.

Now, can someone tell my why guinea pigs go crazy for CC when they aren't sick, but are a pain in the ass when you want to feed it during an illness?!

TWP_2

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:16 am

I think Gilbert likes when I swaddle him up and give him his medicines.

Maybe they want to feel pampered and taken care of.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:26 pm

Sadly, Peppi has developed another stone. He had some blood in his urine and was crying when he was peeing, so I took him in today for an x-ray. This stone looks like it may be even larger than the first.

I think we will probably have it removed, but I have my doubts because it seems like when these guys get into the cycle of forming stone after stone, there's nothing that can be done to break it. I just hate to think of the stress it will put on him to go through another surgery. I really hate these stones, and I'm angry that I feel so helpless. What would you guys do, and how much is too much?

The vet suggested we try starting him on polycitra so that if we do the surgery it could maybe help to prevent more stones afterwards. We're used to giving it to Chester, who used to have sludge and was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis.

Peppi's first stone was 100% calcium carbonate. Is that the kind of stone polycitra works on? What dose would you recommend for a 1150 gram pig?

TWP_2

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:43 pm

Please see Gilbert and Sullivan's threads. We weren't really able to do the polycitra, it wasn't palateable no matter what we did.

We treated 2x per day with shilintong, plus giving two to four Critter Berries per day (they contain Chanca Piedra, another anti-stone herbal remedy). Metacam in moderate to high doses (up to abouit 1 cc per kilogram, yes, 5x normal dose) during stone pain seems to help them pass them, too.

Sully passed a large stone while on that regimen. We're trailing off the metacam for both of them now, since they're both 'stone free', but we are MAINTAINING the shilintong and critter berries for the forseeable future. They've BOTH passed stones while on this regimen, it seems to be working.

I'm not sure it would help with the stone Peppi has right now, but if you put him through surgery, trying at least the shilintong and preferably the Critter Berries too would be my suggestion.

Shilintong should start right away and continue right through surgery. Critter berries are tasty and most pigs love them.

Fingers crossed. I hate stones.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:17 pm

Please try giving Peppi the Shilintong. I used it successfully also with Angel who had interstitial cystitis. The poor thing suffered through many surgeries and meds before I turned to Shilintong. Pain relief came within two days!

I don't think it can cause any harm but it may help.