Baking Soda?

lilblue_frog

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:19 am

On another board, a person was asking for reason's why her guinea pig smelled so bad. Inquiries were made about the pig's diet, housing, health (and of course was referred to guinealynx.info) but eventually the conversation turned to ways to sanitize. One person suggested baking soda on the bottom of the cage and this is the advice that was taken. I don't have much common sense when it comes to helpful kitchen tips but is that safe for pigs?

lisam

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:26 am

I don't know if it's safe, but I tried it once. I sprinkled a layer underneath the bedding. All that happened is that it made this nice hard crust that was hard to scrape out.

The very best thing for odor control is to clean out the bedding and cage often.

Joni

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:31 am

I don't think baking soda can hurt them. I know of people who mix it with water and drink it as an antacid.

I wouldn't use it in the powder form because I can see where that would be messy. You could mix some with water and wipe down the bottom of the cage to clean out any odor. I know baking soda is good for really reducing dog/cat odor in carpeting. I've used this type of mixture in my steamvac to freshen up my carpeting and it works pretty well.

Feycat

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:05 pm

This is what I do for my rat cages and it works VERY well for removing smell and crud.

Sprinkle baking soda throughout the cage, then spray it down with clean white vinegar in a sprayer. Let it foam, then scrub it up. Wash down with clean, hot water and let dry. It's really easy, effective and cheap!

Xanlexian

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:10 pm

I use it as an antacid.

Remember, baking soda is nothing more than sodium bicarbonate.

Harmless.

Sprinkle a little down underneath the shavings/cloth -- you should be good for not just odors, but wetness as well.

--Xan

jessicariekena
Pigs n' Pine

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:43 pm

I use baking soda in my rabbit's trays. It helps so much. I'm going to try to put some under the newspaper of the boar's cage.

critterluv02

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:46 pm

Thanks for the rat cage tip. Boy they get stinky fast!

I use baking soda in my cat boxes underneath the litter. Seems to make their litter last longer.

Your opening comment reminded me of a situation I once encountered. I had an owner call to say she wanted to surrender her pig because she couldn't keep the cage clean and it always stunk. She was putting something crappy from the pet store in the pigs food to make her urine less smelly, etc. When I went to pick up the little piggie, she had ABSOLUTELY NO BEDDING! This woman wasn't told and had no idea that you needed to put some sort of bedding in the bottom of the cage. Here was this sweet little piggie in a plastic bottom cage, wading around in her own urine and feces. She had one dry corner to lay in, but she was all wet so it didn't matter.

I have learned to always discuss bedding when people comment on their stinky pigs! LOL

Feycat

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:26 pm

OMG, were her feet urine-burned and ulcerated??? Poor piggy!!

bats

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:27 pm

Ack.

I would not put baking soda in your pig's cages!!! It is an astringent that will get on their lips and in their mouths. It will changes the taste of food and will generally make them thirsty and miserable.

And they won't be able to slug some water and get away from it: they will have to live with that bitter taste 24 hours a day.

Put a dab on your lips and keep reapplying it for half an hour -- you'll see what I mean.

It may be fine for a cat litter box, but your cat doesn't live with his face in the litter all day long.

critterluv02

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:28 am

I surely wouldn't be putting it on the top layer. It works best when it is at the bottom to absorb the odor and moisture the other bedding doesn't catch. If you put it under towels or even aspen your pigs shouldn't be getting it on their mouths. At least I have never caught mine licking the bottom of their cage.

cosmo

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:14 pm

This is for laceyjess

I don't know what pet stores you are near but if you have any of these this is what they charge.
I get my 50L bag of bedding from pet supplies plus and it's only $12.98 Pet's mart is $17.98.

Feycat

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:53 pm

Cosmo,

What type of bedding?