Brian- Eye problems

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:32 pm

Monday, Brian's eye started to look a bit infected. I figured it was either a scratch or conj, so I started antibiotic ointment and took him to the vet.

She suggested the ointment every several hours, and since we had a 20g weight loss, put him on metacam and I started supplementing with hand feedings.

She saw a small scratch on the eye with staining, but nothing very large. And she could see nothing stuck in the eye.

Well, two more vet trips and less than a week later, its horrible looking. The surrounding tissue is so swollen that he can't blink, his eye is completely clouded over and red around the edges.

We have been putting the antibiotic ointment on every three hours to keep it moist, and continuing the Metacam.

He shows no signs of lethargy, and only a slight decrease in appetite. With hand feedings, he has maintained his weight. He shows no other signs of pain.

Because his other eye was showing slight irritation, we have also been medicating it. However, without being able to see well, he has now scratched it on hay. It now shows signs of clouding, also.

I just feel so helpless waiting for the meds to do something. My vet is not great with pigs, but she is the best in the area, and very willing to research and learn.

But right now, I need to know what else I can do.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:40 pm

Your poor little guy! Is your hay stalky? I can only suggest trying to only use the leafier parts. It sounds to me like you are being pretty thorough and covering all bases.

I wonder if guinea pigs could manage eye patches.
Would be right in style for Talk-Like-A-Pirate Day.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:51 pm

I have thought about a little eye patch. It continues to amaize me how his eye can be so bad and he just acts like nothing is wrong.

The timothy I got from Oxbow this time is pretty soft, I try to take out the stalky parts. Right now, I have been picking out the soft parts only for his cage.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:30 pm

I hope you're not using the BNP with cortisone in it?

The pig may need gentamycin drops. If you don't get the right meds, the eye may be lost.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:38 pm

Gentamycin has worked well for our pigs' eye problems in the past--for both eye injuries and conjunctivitis. Good luck with Brian; I always feel so bad when I see a pig's eyes sore.

klynne

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:26 am

Hmm, I had missed that about the cortisone? Does that ointment really have cortisone?

I wonder if it's possible steroids might be letting the infection run rampant? Just a thought.

And just a reminder--soft hay and Critical Care here if/when you need 'em, Glade.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:50 am

BNP is made with and without cortisone in it.

The cortisone will delay healing on an eye ulcer so should not be used.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:46 am

We are not using the BNP with cortisone. Originally, not using Gentamycin due to the fact that the drops are not staying in the eye long enough.

The BNP has the ability to adhere directly to the eye, and moisturize it (he can't blink), but am going to look into switching to the gent with some ohter type of lubricant today?

Thank you Klynne, I may take you up on that!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:06 am

I seem to remember when I had a baby with a deep eye ulcer, I had to use the drops every 4 hours, around the clock, for 7 days. It was exhausting, but it did the job!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:33 pm

Make sure you are weighing him. A topical anesthetic or meloxicam may need to be added since the eye problems you describe may make him painful enough to not eat well.

He may have a foreign body in there the vet is just not able to see. Maybe add flushes with saline in between? I think a different antibiotic is definitely called for at this point.

Roger

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:04 pm

My guinea pig had a eye problem too.

When i first got him i was using pine beeding and it made his eyes puffy and white liquide came out.

When i took him to the vet they said to try care fresh.

So i bought him someof that beeding and he does not get white liquid any more so your guinea pig may have a reaction to the beeding.

Try the care fresh beeding and see what happens.

The beeding works great and it also does not smell.

I am not telling you how to take care of you GP but what ever you do do not use corncobe beeding it will get stuck in the GPs butt and other areas and then you will have more problems.

Good luck tell me what happens

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:30 pm

Roger, please capitalize your I's. I notice you forget about them when they're in the middle of a sentence.

Thanks!

The white liquid is normal.

www.guinealynx.info/normal.html