Female GP with bald patches

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:53 am

I don't know. Is she with any other pigs? The hormonal loss Snowflake had left clean skin. I did see Snowflake at least once pulling out the hair herself. If she is the only pig that could inflict it, I would be tempted to wrap her to get her to leave it alone. Doesn't look fungal to me. I would clean with an antiseptic solution and bandage (see the bandaging page).

Maybe someone else will have ideas.

Elly

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:18 am

She lives with 2 other females and a neutered male. I have not noticed any of the others barbering her or licking her. None of them are snuggly with each other and while they all get along they all prefer to have their personal space.

If it's caused by outside irritation then she would be the one doing it to herself. I have noticed some short, broken hairs on the bald patces on her sides that suggest some sort of barbering.

Hopefully my vet will know. He's very good so I have faith in him.

I'll ask him about wrapping her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:23 am

Wrapping would be a lesser solution -- to just let it heal up without being fussed with. It looks like it could benefit from simple cleaning with a dilute antiseptic but leaving it to air would be best.

Elly

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:18 pm

Ok, back from the Vet's

Dilly does have an ovarian cyst on her right side, a little smaller then a marble. That should be what is causing the hair loss.

The raised discoloration is a secondary infection most likely caused by her licking/chewing/barbering of herself. She is possibly doing this because the cyst and hormonal imbalance is causng her irritation. It does not look like scratching because there is no tearing of the skin.

She is being treated with hormone injections. The hormone is Lupron. She will be getting a series of 3 injections. 1 every 2 weeks. we should start seeing improvement by next week.

For her secondary infection she is on .55ml of Bactrim twice a day for 2 weeks. The infections will also be treated topically with Silvadene 2xs a day. I will start wrapping her if she continues to lick and chew at her sides.

That's where we stand right now. I will keep people updated as far as the success we have with hormone treatment.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:50 pm

Good luck to Dilly and to you.

BTW, next time you need something in a hurry, call or email me. If we have it I'll FedEx it to you. FedEx place (open 'till 7 p.m.) is almost walking distance of my work.

lisam

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:17 pm

Yes, please update us. I'm glad you have figured out the problem, and have a good plan of action.

Elly

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:43 pm

Updates

On Aug 31 2006 Dilly had her second hormone injection (Lupron). At that exam there was no change in the size of her cysts or in her hair loss. The secondary infections on her sides were much improved though from the Bactrim and Silvadene cream.

The vet said that if we were going to see improvement it would be after this second shot.

Within a few days (Sept 5th) I started to notice hair growth on all her bald areas. When I palpated her cysts they did not seem smaller though. I put off palpating her cysts again for about a week so I would notice any significant change.

The day before her last hormone treatment and exam I palpated her cysts again. I could not find the one on her left and the larger one on her right seemed MUCH smaller (maybe half the size it was).

On Sept 14 2006 the Vet confirmed the reduction in the size of the cysts and the apparent success we were having. Dilly received her last injection of Lupron.

There is the possibility of a recurrence of the cysts and if that happens we will do a repeat of the Lupron injections. I don't mind though as it makes risky spay surgery unnecessary if the injections work.

I have pictures of her hair growth in her bald patches if they are wanted.

My Vet said the dose for Lupron in treating Female GPs with Ovarian cysts is injections every 2 weeks for 3-4 treatments

100mg for GPs under 1kg
200mg for GPs over 1kg

Dilly received 200mg every 2 weeks for a series of 3 treatments.

Dr Rich (my Vet) also said he is more then happy to get calls from other Vets about this or other treatments. If anyone wants his number I will be happy to supply it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:28 pm

Thanks for the info. Do give us periodic updates so we know how well it is working for you. I'd be happy to put up pics of the hair loss and regrowth.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:08 pm

Cost wise how does treating with Lupron compare to spay surgery? I'd much rather avoid surgery even if the Lupron costs more as long as it's not too exceedingly high..

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:29 pm

I'd be very interested to know this too, since I have a girl with suspected cysts who won't be well enough for spay surgery for many months.

Of course, I'd have to spring for an ultrasound to confirm if we were going to go this route.

Elly

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:16 pm

The injections were $55.00 each making the total hormone treatment $165.00. My vet is a bit on the expensive side though so another vet may do it cheaper.

Dr Rich told be he has had several successes with this treatment, one with some improvement but not enough and one failure. The one which was a failure had a cyst the size of a golf ball though and with a cyst that advanced he was not expecting improvement. He has had no GPs suffer adverse reaction to the hormone therapy.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:24 pm

That is very economical especially considering the cost of a spay, not to mention the risk involved. The only sow I've had spayed didn't survive her first night home : (. I have another girl who looks like she may have cysts but I've been reluctant to get the ultrasound because I'm not so sure I'm ready to try another spay. She doesn't appear to be bothered by them, no hair loss, no excessive heat cycles. It is altogether possible she is just a BIG girl.