Male with bladder stone--need a good vet

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:29 pm

Thank you both for your advice. Unfortunately, the stone is too big for him to pass. If you look at the bottom of this thread, the x-ray posted is of Peppi's first stone that was removed in August, and the one he has now is even a little bigger.

I'll pick up some Critter Berries. We had a sample of them several years ago, and I never realized they were beneficial to bladder health. I'm sure Peppi will like them--he's the biggest pig we have, literally and figuratively! I will also find some shilintong.

Peppi has taken 2 doses of polycitra since last night, along with extra syringes of water. I'm still trying to decide about the surgery. I'm thinking maybe if we get him started on this regiment to prevent stones this week and then do the surgery it will give him a jump start to stop more from forming. I don't think I would want to put him through more than 2 surgeries. Dr. Voss posts on VIN looking to see if there is any kind of treatment to break down stones once they are formed, but had no luck-only ideas to prevent.

Edited to ask: HAs anyone ever found any kind of connection between water supply and stone formation? We give Brita filtered water to our pigs, but I know there is high mineral content in the water here because we have a rented softener.

TWP_2

Post   » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:30 pm

Yeah, that's a big stone. However, if he has the surgery, the Shilintong/Critter Berries regimen with Metacam (as necessary) could help him get rid of any forming stones in the future. If the polycitra helps him not to form the stones in the first place, then you pretty much have all your bases covered.

We have our fingers crossed, and Peppi is in our thoughts and prayers. Let's hope for one more boar to make it through a stone issue.

Jim

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:14 pm

Peppi has been acting cheerful for the most part, but has lost some weight this weekend. We made a ball a little larger than a big grape of Critical Care this afternoon (just added a small amount of water) and he ate most of it. He has been eating what seems to be a normal amount, but I'm worried that the stone is now starting to sap his energy and cause his weight loss. We'll be calling the vet first thing tomorrow to see if he thinks surgery is a good option and can be done soon.

Peppi currently weighs about 1075-1100 grams. Before he got his first stone, he usually weighed in at about 1250, and averaged in around 1150 since the first surgery. We will keep up with the CC if he doesn't gain anything back.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:19 pm

Keep up the CC. It will help with his weight and keep his intestines going properly.

You should get the shilintong on Tuesday. Good luck, Peppi!

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:27 pm

Thanks again for sending the shilintong! We really, really appreciate it.
Do you happen to know if that and Polycitra can be used at the same time without interaction? Not sure which one would be better, or if I should quit the Polycitra. For some weird reason, Peppi doesn't seem to mind it. Chester hates it.

Here's Peppi from yesterday afternoon. From this picture you wouldn't even know anything is wrong with him!

TWP_2

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:58 am

Not that it has any bearing on whether I wish him well or not, but he's such a cute little geriatric piggie. I hope he gets through this okay.

He looks like he'd get along well with Grandpa Henry.

Jim

TWP_2

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:03 am

I don't know that anyone has any real data on interactions between polycitra and shilintong. We probably would have used both, except Gilbert was vehemently opposed to the polycitra.

Jim

Fossil Barb

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:22 am

What a cutie! We used shilintong and polycitra together with positive results on Rodney. With the stone being so large what's the possibility that it will travel and block the flow of urine? The surgery would keep that from happening and then with Shilintong and Polycitra maybe that will be the last of Peppi's stones. Good thought for a positive outcome.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:51 am

First of all, I am so sorry to hear that another stone has formed. What sad and frustrated feelings you must be going through. I remember them all too well with Louie.

I did use both of them together with no problems. Not to dash anyone's hopes though, but for Louie it future stones still formed with all the preventative measures I took. I hope that's not the case for you. I wish you and your little guy lots of luck.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:38 pm

Thanks for your support.

We discussed with Dr. Voss, and he felt that since he knows Peppi well and he came through the surgery well the first time, added to the fact that the surgery should be quicker (no lump to remove this time in addition to the stone) that it would be ok to do one more surgery to remove this stone. The earliest appointment we could get is unfortunately next Monday. Dr. Voss had a family emergency and won't be in on Friday, which is one of his surgery days. I feel more comfortable having him do it than another vet because he's familiar with Peppi.

Peppi has some yucky looking gritty pee now and then, but seems happy and is eating. We're supplementing with Critical Care, and hopefully he'll hang in there till next week.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:14 pm

Poor guy, I hope his surgery goes well. I'm sorry I don't have any advice.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:54 pm

Just got the shilintong! Thank you so, so much! Gonna get it ready right away.