Brian- Eye problems

TexCavy

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:36 pm

I am sorry your pig is having this trouble and certainly hope he gets better soon. I can't offer much advice. But I can relate a story of my own and I am afraid mine is not happy.

I have no way to know for sure now, but I will always fear that Reuben's partial facial paralysis was due to a bit of hay that worked it's way into his eye and never came out again. The eye problem eventually cleared up with meds. The tooth problems came later. It was probably a few months later when it started. I had forgotten about the hay until the facial paralysis was diagnosed on that same side. He had malocclusion and was handfed for over a year. I fear that the malocclusion was related to the paralysis and not the other way around.

A lot of people don't use hay racks because of worry of the hay poking the eye. A lot of people think only stalky hay can do it. But I am here to testify that Reuben's injury happened with the softest hay imaginable and from hay that was on the floor in a carry cage. No hay rack involved. So people can stop beating themselves up when they think their hayrack was the cause. Stalky hay is definately a bigger danger, but even the softest hay can cause eye damage.

I worry that I could have done more to prevent Reuben's teeth problems. I assumed his eye was fine when he improved on the medication even though I suspected the piece of hay never came out. It is good you are getting this eye treated now and I hope he gets an antibiotic that will help you get him well soon. And I am sure your story will end much better than mine.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:06 pm

We have switched to Gentamycin as of today, so we will see.

Josephine, he is on metacam for pain. And we have been flushing with saline.

He lost 20g orignally, and while he has not regained that, he has stabilized and not lost any more weight.

Yes, Mum, we are medicating every three-four hours, around the clock.

Thanks for the good wishes, we are hoping this works.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:47 pm

Well, his weight is stable and he is eating (and still being hand fed also). But I just don't know, when do you make the decision that the eye has to go?

I am afraid of waiting too long, and it being to late, but at the same time, don't want to risk losing him in surgury if it isn't necessary.

I know people say this alot, but there really isn't a vet in the area I would trust to do surgury on his eye.

I was lucky enough to find Dr. Staley, who may not be an expert, but is very willing to work with me (prescribing meds I ask for, researching dosages, etc).

Here is a picture, its not very clear, because I didn't want the flash to hurt him. Please don't think his whole cage is this dirty, he was just changed yesterday, and is hanging out in his hay/poop corner.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:54 pm

Poor guy. I'm no expert, but the inflammation would concern me more than the clouding.

I've nothing useful to add except very best wishes to him and to you. And I certainly wouldn't consider that a dirty cage. ;)

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:57 pm

I guess I should be happy right now that he is peeing an pooping as normal.

He's always had pea eye, so a bit of the red you see is that, but it is very swolen, although the eye is not protruding.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:46 pm

I'm with Talishan, wishing you the best. It must be disorienting for him.

klynne

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:07 pm

"I know people say this alot, but there really isn't a vet in the area I would trust to do surgury on his eye."

And I totally have Glade's back on this one--being from the same area, I can attest she's right on this one. It's a very helpless feeling situation here.

Glade, my email is acting up so phone me if you need anything.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:11 pm

Ouch, that poor guy. Sending good health vibes to you. Hope it gets better soon.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:25 pm

Before I went to surgery for something like that I would consult with an ophthalmologist.

Poor thing. It does look inflamed and angry.

klynne

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:55 pm

We only have one veterinary opthamologist, Dr. Kittering, who comes into our area once a year, to see dog clients only. Waiting list is huge, and no exotics, unfortunately, unless something has changed I haven't heard about.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:03 pm

Well, there is less swelling around the eyes, but both his eyes are completely clouded over. The good news is, he is pretty good at his hand feedings, and still eating his hay and some veggies. No outward signs of pain other than the appetite, but he is on metecam.

I have seen changes since switching antibiotics, I hope they are good ones. The swelling has gone down overall, but the eye is horrible looking. On his left eye, the scelera is actually swolen up a bit over the edges of the cornea, which is odd.

We are using the anitbiotics, and a sterile lubricant between, every 3 hours. Handfeeding several times a day also.

I feel so helpless without a good vet around here.

Please excuse his nails in the picture, he came to me with curly nails, and I forgot to cut them this week with all the other stuff.

This picture is dark, but you can see the swelling of his eyeball.

lisam

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:05 pm

Oh my! It was just the one eye, and now both? I hope Josephine sees this.