Tea Tree Oil

pogolysmom

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Has any one treated a fungal infection with tea tree oil?

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:49 pm

No but it is great for chigger bites.

pogolysmom

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:51 pm

What's a chigger?

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:56 pm

Chiggers are evil little bugs that are usually found in tall grasses. They burrow into your skin and excrete some sort of lovely gunk that makes you itch like crazy.

My husband once counted somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 chigger bites on his ankles and legs, after we stupidly strayed off a hiking trail many years ago.

pogolysmom

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:57 pm

ewwww, how does a piggy get one of those bad boys?

Is that one of the mites that you read about?

pogolysmom

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:59 pm

I think sef1268 beat me to the punch when I was responding to the picture of the ugly little bug.

I don't think that we have those in CT.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:00 pm

No those are on humans mostly. I dont think Guinea Pigs get them, not sure unless they were in infested grass.

No chiggers is NOT one of the mites described here when someone refers to Mites. If I am wrong someone will come by and let us know.

lisam

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:02 pm

I tried tea tree oil on some fungus on myself, and it took way too long to begin working. With your pigs, I think it's best to use the recommended cremes-- https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html .

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:56 pm

I didn't have much luck with it on fish, either. It's the primary ingredient of Melafix and, I think, Pimafix.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm

I'm pretty sure Josephine once mentioned that tea tree oil could be toxic.

I'd previously used tea tree oil shampoo, but I dumped it after that post.

If you do a search you should find it.

pogolysmom

Post   » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:46 am

I had done a search and didn't come up with anything. I wonder what I did wrong when I typed it. I was afraid of the toxicity, which is why I was asking. I'm using a recommended cream, but thought that going herbal might be better since you know that they are cleaning themselves and getting the cream in their mouths, yuck. Or maybe because they taste yucky, they don't lick themselves at the site of the infection?