Pregnant Female? How early do they show "girth"?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:35 am

I have one female here that always looks pregnant. She looks as if she has two golf balls on either side - and it doesn't help that she has poofy hair there as well. When I pick her up, she has a very squishy feel to her as well!

axlekitty

Post   » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:38 am

Umm good news and bad news. I don't know about the "not being pregnant" anymore. I felt a baby move! I checked 2 more times and still felt it moving inside.

I hope that she doesn't have a huge one instead of multiple ones because of the complications I heard about. I am sure now that she is. And to think I HAD this resolved a few days ago! When they come out I will be sure to post pics as soon as I am able.

[edit] She was in the cage with the male for almost a month until the day before I posted on here when I found out "he" was indeed a "she". So she should be due in a little under 3 more weeks I think?

axlekitty

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Ok this doesn't have to do with the title, but I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread due to Lynx's one thread rule so here goes.

Ivomec Question: I just got a scale from my fiance's mother. It appears to weigh correctly when we weighed several different weight cans.

I weighed each of my pigs does this sound right for weights and dosage info? I also calculated the ivomec dose on Lynx's dose calculator.

Cajun: .963kg (dosage .048cc) <-- can this be rounded to .5 or not?

Cashew: .850kg (dosage .043cc)

Lilly: .425kg (dosage .02cc)

Mother-in-law's piggy: .595kg (dosage .03cc)

I have the syrynges to take it out and understand it goes on topically. I have read the medical thread and I am still a bit confused. Is each tic-mark .01cc? And do I round up or down with the dosage calculator?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:01 pm

You can round up to the nearest hundreth (i.e. 0.048 would be 0.05).

Do some dry run tests with water. It should be a coupld drops or so. That will help you know if you're in the ballpark.

p.s. you have a 1cc syringe, right? Break it down into tenths and hundreths visually so the lines make sense to you.

axlekitty

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:36 am

Thanks Lynx. I was EXTREMELY surprised at how easy this was to do! After treating my pigs, and my fiance's mother's pigs, his sister came to me asking about hair loss.

Apparently her pig is scratching horribly and she can't afford the vet here. Well, I treated her two also. Her piggy is doing a little better with the scratching. We'll see how it goes with the hair loss.

Would you recommend 4 weeks of treatment for the hairloss (maybe longer...)? I think I'll do 4 weeks for mine because it won't hurt them and it seems to be an epidemic in this place!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:33 am

4 weeks would be fine. The main thing is to just remember to do it. Write on your calendar that you've treated them. Hey, if you had a Cavy Health Record Book you could even write it in there.

axlekitty

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:30 pm

For you ferret owners, do you treat your ferrets with Ivermectin too? If so is it the same dosages?

axlekitty

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:12 am

HELP! I have a Lump on my baby. I felt it a while ago when I first got her but I thought it was a bite from another pig at the store. It is not infected, in fact it doesn't look like it even has any opening or source for it (no absess, doesn't feel fluid filled). It is hard and about a little smaller than a baby pea.

I really cannot afford to have a skin biopsy and stuff done right now! What the hell. I hope she doesn't die and I hope she doesn't have cancer. Advice? Should I go get a biopsy?

Also do pigs shed their "winter hair"? My pigs got a thicher coat when it was colder but it's warming up and they seem to be shedding tons more. Already treated for mites too so it's not that.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:15 am

Some people seem to think there is spring shedding. You can also try a Nizoral shampoo for fungal problems.

Where is the lump?
Might be a sebaceous cyst.

axlekitty

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:25 am

The lump is on her right side at the curve on her hip bone (where the leg is). It is only on her skin because it moves with the skin. It is not attached to anything I can feel. Just a hard lump. It was small and it grew a LOT bigger.

If I took a picture, you cannot see it as it can only be felt. There are no abnormal skin blemishes also.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:25 am

How big? Is she biting at it at all?

axlekitty

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:18 pm

It is a little smaller than a baby pea and round. She is not biting it nor scratching at it. It appears to not bother her and she doesn't even know it's there. I can touch it, push on it, hold it gently and feel the bump to examine it, she doesn't care and is not in any pain/discomfort whatsoever.

I hope it is not a cancerous tumor!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:49 pm

axlekitty

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:42 pm

No it doesn't look like that at all. It is just her skin.

No white/grey stuff
No scabs
She doesn't pick at it, in fact the only way I even knew it was there is because I was bathing/grooming her and I felt it while riffling her fur to get it dry.

I will post a picture. You won't be able to see anything, it is under her skin. Just a hard bump. Cannot see an enlarged follicle, no infection, nothing, just a hard bump.

axlekitty

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:16 am

Oops! I guess I forgot to post that pic a while back. I had it looked at, the vet said a while ago that it is fine and not to worry as long as it is not bothering her.

Well, today I noticed it was a tiny bit larger. Still not the size as a normal pea, but like a baby pea size. It is a little flatter than it used to be. Now though, there appears to be a little white dot, like a white-head pimple looking thing just barely big enough to notice. It is still hard as a rock though.

I just went and reread the follicular cyst information and similar topics. It doesn't appear to be that at all (unless it is super-early in development).

Should I shave off some of the hair in the area to get a better look? Maybe try to scrape the white thing off and try to squeeze it gently? I have some pics:

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:23 am

That looks to me like the cysts that Goldie gets. Although Goldie's are skin colored - black.

I get the vet to lance them and squeeze the material out. Then I put Otomax in the hole.

As long as they don't get bigger, you don't have to do that. But if they get bigger, they must be lanced, because they can explode inwards - and you don't want that to happen.

If in doubt, get the vet to check it out anyway.

axlekitty

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:27 am

Like how much bigger? Nothing I can do to treat this myself? Kyle can help if need be.

Edit: Right now, the bump is about the size of the exposed skin in the pic, hard to see but maybe a tad bigger.

Also, may pulling a hair out inside the white "head" help me know what kind it is or if it looks waxy or is a different texture? I'd hate to pick at it and hurt her, just to be able to tell you what it actually is instead of causing the least amount of stress possible or the quickest amount of irritation.
Last edited by axlekitty on Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:30 am

Actually I have no idea. I suppose Goldie's have been about the size of a finger tip. I know that Spot had an exploded cyst, and it was a huge hole - maybe the size of a quarter?

You could lance it, I suppose (and then be sure to squeeze all the crap out - follicular cyst material is very thick and skin colored). But you'll be a braver person than I (not hard!).

axlekitty

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:34 am

If we do decide to home treat can we use something to flush it out like Betadine or peroxide once it is all drained? I'm not even sure if this is what it is, it doesn't seem hot or infected at all. Should we risk it?

I mean, if we do lance it, and it is not one of these, we could always treat the wound with ointment or something to prevent infection right? Kind of like with children and their cuts. She doesn't tend to pick at herself much at all so I doubt if she'll bother it much if we do.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:37 am

As I said, I don't lance myself, just because I'm chicken!

I suppose if I did do it, I'd just do what we do at the vet. He lances it, then when I get home I shove Otomax into the hole (triple a/b ointment would do just as well I suspect).

Or you could just leave it alone and watch it.

66 posts