Brian- Eye problems

klynne

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:01 pm

I see Dr. Ketring (I misspelled his name earlier) is still listed there, and still in Cincy.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:18 pm

Josephine-Didn't mean to come off rude about my location, I really thank you for the help! Believe me, I am trying to get information and answers. After all the years he has been such a companion to us, he deserves the best.

The good news today is that he is eating some on his own, and drinking water. He didn't fight his feedings today, and was alert.

Klynne, thank you for all your help. Having someone to lend an ear to my babblings on the phone is a big comfort. And I am hoping that this rain lets up so you and your critters don't float down Little Fudge Creek tonight!

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:17 pm

Mike and I made the decision to have Brian put to sleep this afternoon. After all the joy be brought my for five years, I couldn't bear to put him through this anymore.

Afterwards, while we did not have a full necropsy done, the vet examined him more closely. Mike stayed to watch, as I could not deal with it.

Here best guess was cancer, lymphoma. (This is just a guess, no tests were run other than visuals)

His glands were so swollen in his face that it seemed they had been pushing his eyes from behind, causing the issues.

I had noticed swolen glands elsewhere, but assumed this was due to infection.

I am sorry if this doesn't make much sense, Mike could explain it much better, but I can't get my brain to work right now.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:21 pm

I am so sorry. He is at rest now and pain free. Thank you for giving him such a wonderful home.

Piggster

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:52 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. At least he's out of pain now and knows how much you tried for him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:20 pm

I am so sorry, glade. I know how much you care about your pets and how much it hurt to lose them.

klynne

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:11 pm

I don't know what to say. I thought of you guys this afternoon.

I'm so sorry about Brian. Glad you got some kind of answers, though.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:16 pm

ACK! So sorry. I think you did the right thing, though. Lymphoma is a difficult one to battle.

I'd never seen those lymph nodes pop up in cavies, but your vet is right--they are classic for dogs when they have lymphoma. That's about the only time they pop up there. I had no idea about the other ones. That would have made me suspicious. I wasn't even thinking lymph node.

Thank you for posting those pics. Maybe it will help someone else going through a similar situation (heaven forbid it should happen).

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:34 pm

Oh dear, I'm so very sorry.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:02 pm

Thank you, everyone.

I should have thought to mention the swelling of his lymph nodes earlier in the thread, but I truely thought it was just a side effect.

Hopefully, this might help someone some day.

At least I know now why there was no improvement with all the meds.

And Brian was actually feeling good enough to nibble at some of his favorite treat, parsley, on the way to the vet, which made me feel better.

Pooka and Pixie

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:15 pm

I'm so sorry.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:22 pm

I just read up on this thread now. That was one sweet little trooper you had there. You made the best decision although I know it's the toughest thing to do. So sorry for you loss.